Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway NV52 - Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rook0316

Rook0316

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

I have a Gateway NV52 that will not boot.

When the power button is pushed the power indicator light comes on, fan fires up, and hard drive spins. Nothing comes on the screen. I press and hold the power button and the machine will not power off and I must remove the battery.

I have searched and found alot of issues with the power button. I disassembled the laptop and shorted the button. Unit powers on, will not power off.

After powering the laptop I do not get anything at all on the screen, BIOS, light, nothing. I have tested the hard drive in another computer and bootable Linux cd's, but either on the HD or the CD there is just the initial spin up, I to not hear any activity after the first few seconds.

This model, when you plug the power cable in the laptop beeps loudly, so I am not sure the MOBO is shot.

Anyone have any ideas? Do you think this could still be a power button issue?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Gateway Support

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/m00335/beepcode.shtml

Louis

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

After powering the laptop I do not get anything at all on the screen, BIOS, light, nothing. I have tested the hard drive in another computer and bootable Linux cd's, but either on the HD or the CD there is just the initial spin up, I to not hear any activity after the first few seconds.

I don't understand. You pulled the hard disk drive (HDD) out of the laptop and tested it on another computer. Then what? Were you able to access your files when your HDD was installed on the other computer? (Caution: never try to boot the OS on a transplanted drive like this, it can really mess up drivers, etc.)

The laptop won't boot either with the (original Vista OS?) OS on the HDD or by using a bootable Linux CD?

Sounds like more than just a power button issue to me, but can't be sure at this point.

The number and timing of any beeps might be a clue. Please look at what hamluis posted and post back with what you find.

#4 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Sorry should have been more clear. I pulled the HD and accessed files on another computer.

As for beeps, there never were any beep codes. The beep I referred to was the beep that happens when you plug/unplug the charger.

However, the laptop is booting now. I think there may be a short in one of the wires that tell the laptop if the lid is open.

I appreciate all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users