Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PUP.whitesmoke, what is it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Malocks

Malocks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:47 AM

Just about an hour ago, I updated my Malwarebytes anti-spyware application, followed by a scan. It resulted in a log listing 17 PUP.whitesmoke infections.

The clearest understanding I have about these "infections" is, they affect the Registry area of my Dell Inspiron 1520 notebook. Prior to the notice of all those infections, the computer didn't appear to have any performance disruptions whatsoever.

I'd appreciate someone explaining the security problems posed by PUP.whitesmoke. I'm always happy to avert any situation that could adversely affect my ability to access the internet, or any other source of information via my computers. However, I still like to know/understand why the application(s) is considered a threat.

Thanks,

Malocks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 34,055 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

The WhiteSmoke web site indicates it has worked in the field of English writing technologies since 2002 with a focus on products that enhance and correct grammar, spelling, and writing style. They also provide translation software and other other specialized English writing tools. These all appear to be legitimate programs. However, many users have reported they did not know how WhiteSmoke was downloaded or installed so its most likely being bundled with other software that is downloaded. The WhiteSmoke web site acknowledges they make their technology available through other channels, such as a browser-based text editor, and specialized OEM versions designed for integration with third party service providers. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware added PUP.WhiteSmoke to its detection database in November 2010.

From our investigation and dealings with this software we are also finding many cases of it being reported with a TDSS rootkit infection after installation. So depending on where and how the software is downloaded such as a bundled package, the severity of system infection will determine how the disinfection process goes.

The web site says the software can be removed through Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features if using Vista/Windows 7 so check there first, highlight anything with the name "Whitesmoke", select Remove and restart the computer normally. This appears to work in most cases with the Whitesmoke Toolbar but not with the Translator.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users