Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All-in-one vs tower

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LBMT

LBMT

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

I would like some good advice on buying a new computer. I am considering the all-in-one, however not real sure about them. I know very little about computers. I am a medical transcriptionist, so therefore my computer is my life line for work. I need at least a dual core processor or more and at least 3 gb of RAM and Windows 7 is compatible with my work platform. I generally open multiple instances of IE while working, and speed is essential. Photos, games, etc. are not an issue, as my computer is mainly for work. I really don't want to spend more than $700 to $800 if at all possible. I currently have a Dell dimension 3000 which is about 6 years old. Any advice on a good overall computer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

Dell makes a good solid product and has a good reputation.

I would avoid the all in one systems like the plague. They use proprietary components and cannot be easily serviced.
You cannot replace any component easily like you can with a tower.

They might look cool but basically they are disposable. If anything breaks throw it away, even if the replacement part only costs 20 bucks or so.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

I had the Dell 3000 for a few years. If it did the job the comp in link below will run circles around the 3000.
Note it has Windows Windows 7 Home Premium so if you need the professional version for networking or
running any of your programs in XP mode you will need to upgrade after delivery.
HP Pavilion Desktop PC with Monitor - Walmart.com

I'm assuming you are in the USA.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#4 Jesse8931

Jesse8931

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

I would stay away from all in one pc's due to repair cost later down the road.

Do you need a monitor also ?

And do you have any brand preference ?

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:44 AM

A tower all the way because it is more customizable and most likely would perform faster.

>Michael ~ Got my Katy Perry Australian concert ticket :3 
System1: CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600MHz, SSD/HDD- 2x Intel 520 Series 120GB RAID-0/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire , Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-D3, Case- Coolermaster HAF 932, PSU- Corsair CS-750M, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 2700+  System2: Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 LBMT

LBMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

Oh wow, thank you all for such wonderful replies. Yes I am getting a monitor also. I was thinking the all-in-ones would probably be a waste, but wanted to verify. So I am going with a tower and monitor. I have been looking at the HP Pavilion computers, AMD Athlon, but not sure if HP is a good brand and if the AMD Athlon is as good as the Pentium or not. What is everybodies take on the HP versus Dell. Thanks again. You all are awesome. Also, yes I am in the US. I am currently using Windows XP Prof and it appears most of the new computers come with Windows 7 Home Prem. So that can be upgraded after the purchase right?

Edited by LBMT, 05 February 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 10,142 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

Another thing to consider:

Call or go by a few computer shops in your area. Most shops have a basic build and you can stick with that or add components you feel are necessary for you. Ask what the basic build would cost you.

Ask questions. What size is the hard drive? How much memory does it have? AMD or Intel? What size is the power supply? Will it have wireless capability? What OS will you load on it?

After all the questions, if there are components you feel are necessary for you to have, ask how much extra it would be.

They will probably have one for demo purposes. Sit down and explore it. If you know anything about device manager, check it out.

Ask about warranty. How long is it for? What's covered? Do I have to do anything to maintain the warranty? My computer tech offers a 3 year warranty, but I have to take the tower in every 6 months so they can blow the dust out of the case.

I've bought custom systems for as low as $550 and as high as $650. People think custom builds are out of their budget, but if you check around you might be able to get one you can afford.

One advantage of custom is no pre-loaded junk that Dell, HP, etc. include on their systems.

Since you want a new monitor, ask if they can give you a good deal on one if you buy the computer.
I did not get a monitor with my last system in Sept. but they threw in a card reader for free.

Get in writing the price, a list of the specs, compare to a few places, and make your decision-off-the-shelf or custom.

If you don't have a tech, ask around for recommendations.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

I've purchased 3 HPs in the past year or so from Walmart and Sams Club. My opinion is that you get more bang for the buck with HP than Dell. That's
after doing a lot of comparison shopping.
Here is a link to several places where you can purchase the upgrade to professional. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - 1 PC

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#9 Davkal

Davkal

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

yep get the tower an stay away from the all in one.
also check on whats on the motherboard - some come with the cards added on (video/sound) if possible stay away from that cause you cant replace them if something goes wrong.
check around an you may find a good deal, some computer stores do compete with each other/ have sales, etc

#10 LBMT

LBMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Thanks so much for all the helpful information. I went shopping yesterday and ended up with an HP Pavilion p6710f with a quad core and 4 GB; unfortunately I missed the 6 GB which was on sale for the same price, but the 4 GB should serve me fine I believe. Now, I have the task of moving all my data over, and I don't have a clue where to start. The tech guy at Office Depot recommended Perfect Image, which I purchased; however, it has me confused right from the start. I don't think I have anything that will hold the amount of data it wants to backup. It is saying 17GB???Does that sound right? My USB flash drive (If that is what they are called) is only 2 GB. What is the best way to do this, please, and thanks.

Edited by LBMT, 06 February 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

Windows Easy Transfer - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

Lawrence M. Krauss

#12 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

I used Windows Easy Transfer (that was mentioned above) and an external usb hard drive. It has been a while and I kind of stumbed my way thru it, but got it done.
One thing, have you checked the winows7 compatibility list to make sure all programs and external hardware you have will work with WIndow 7? From you post though it sounds like you may not have a lot of that to worry about. I had to get a new router, but mine was an old one. It did not work well with Win 7.
I purchased my computer directly from hp - online. May not have been the best and cheapest way - but I was able to go ahead and select some minor customization - such as selecting the pro version (for a price of course).

HP has a free online course in migrating from xp to win 7. I took it and got some useful information from it.

Edited by FayB, 08 February 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#13 LBMT

LBMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

Thanks to all for the help. I did use the Windows file transfer, and it worked for the most part. Some of my applications did not transfer over. I have been pulling my hair out for the last couple of days, but I think I might have it?????? Big might there. I lost my audio, once again, which operates with the use of a USB foot pedal. I am now trying to get that back. My computer automatically found my router; however, my old computer worked off the modem and my loptop off the router. I can't seem to get my new computer to find my modem, so that is also an issue I'm trying to sort through. Unfortunately, the IT guy with the company I work for has not contacted me back with help to set up my work applications, so I'm kinda on my own. Well, actually I'm bugging the helpful folks on this board. LOL. Thanks again.

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

Here is the audio driver. Try this.

>Michael ~ Got my Katy Perry Australian concert ticket :3 
System1: CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600MHz, SSD/HDD- 2x Intel 520 Series 120GB RAID-0/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire , Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-D3, Case- Coolermaster HAF 932, PSU- Corsair CS-750M, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 2700+  System2: Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users