Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 2011 messed up my computer!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tabee42874

tabee42874

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

I downloaded AVG 2011. Have used AVG for years. Did a scan. Found viruses. In the midst of the viruses my research said that one of them was only removed by doing a system restore to factory settings. So I did that. Then I downloaded AVG again, because I didn't want to get viruses. Well did the first scan and it popped up with a virus. So I sent it to the vault. Come to find out it's a false positive. And since then my computer is running slow, freezing up, my sd drive wont work.. just a list of problems. I'm thinking I need to crash it again and download a different anti-virus. Does anyone have any advice on what anti-virus I can use that's free? I'm done with AVG.

On my second computer... I downloaded AVG. Now it prompts me countless times a day to reboot. How do I go about getting AVG off this computer without crashing it? If I uninstall it will it fix my problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

AVG Removal Tool

I recommend Avast!, Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials or Panda Cloud for an Anti-Virus

Regarding the issues on your computer, try running the above removal tool and see if that clears anything up. AVG is notorious for leaving remnants on your machine.
Posted Image

#3 tabee42874

tabee42874
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

If I use the AVG remover tool.. what happens to the "corrupted file" it marked as a virus and moved to the vault? Will it crash my computer?

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

I am not 100% positive, but I believe on an uninstallation, the viruses in the vault are also removed. You could always delete the item before you uninstall AVG
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users