Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer opens then closes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mntash90

mntash90

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

I have a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit. The first few days I had it, Internet Explorer worked fine. Then it malfunctioned. When you double click the IE shortcut it would open for a split second then close. When you went to the Start menu, Programs, it would do the same.

I downloaded and installed IE 8 64 bit from Microsoft's website. When I double click the IE 8 64 bit shortcut it opens fine! The problem is, I can't set IE 8 64 as my default browser. I get a Windows error message that says you can not set IE 8 64 as your default browser.

So I can open IE 8 64 manually but any link I click tries to open IE 8 (32 bit presumably) which still opens then immediately closes.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

You're going to have to edit the registry to do this..

use regedit and modify the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEXPLORE.EXE
Change the value to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command
Change the value - "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open\command
Change the value - "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

Before editing the registry it is always wise to back it up. Just in case. Recommended registry back-up program.

Please note this message at the top of the page before using.

Windows Vista and 7 users please see the Frequently Asked Questions below.

Edited by ThunderZ, 24 January 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#4 mntash90

mntash90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

I appreciate the help, but it's still not working!

Any other suggestions? I triple checked I had the proper registry keys and typed them correctly. :(

When I go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE and double click that .exe, it opens fine.

Edited by mntash90, 02 February 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

When I go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE and double click that .exe, it opens fine.

Create new shortcut.
Right click on IEXPLORE.EXE, click Send to>Desktop (create shortcut)
Delete existing shortcut.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 mntash90

mntash90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

Thank you for the advice, but I did create a new shortcut. When I click on it, it works fine.

What DOESN'T work is when clicking on a hyperlink it apparently tries to open Internet Explorer 32 bit.

When I go to Internet Explorer Tools, Internet Options, Programs, it tells me Internet Explorer 54 bit cannot be the default browser. I will try to get a screenshot.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

What DOESN'T work is when clicking on a hyperlink it apparently tries to open Internet Explorer 32 bit.

What's wrong with it? That's how IE is set up.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 mntash90

mntash90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

What's wrong with it? That's how IE is set up.

My IE 32 opens and immediately closes!

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

Go Start>Control Panel>Internet options>Advanced tab and click on "Reset" button.
See, if it helped.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 SavageOne

SavageOne

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:35 AM

This may seem overly simple, but I don't see it listed as something you've tried. Simply uninstall IE 32, run a registry cleaner, then reinstall. I'm not entirely clear on what your trying to have as your final defaults, but in the long run I would move to FireFox. As Broni's signature indicates, FireFox basically eats IE alive, plus its more secure, and has greater versatility. I've gone so far as to disable IE on my build, and only resurrect it on the rare occasion's when a site just won't display, which hasn't happened once in the last 5 months. GL.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:41 AM

Simply uninstall IE 32

How?

run a registry cleaner

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

Instructions to re-set or re-install IE8 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2014
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#13 mntash90

mntash90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

Instructions to re-set or re-install IE8 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Yeah I wish that worked!! I tried it...no luck :(

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

You might want to try IE9

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

IE 9 is an option. The release candidate is available HERE.

While the solution I am providing is not for your exact problem. It seems all other options have been pretty much exhausted.

The fix is listed for IE 7 but have run it on IE 8 with no ill affects.

Reregister IE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users