Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
- - - - -

How to determine the version of Windows that is installed on a computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

How to determine the version of Windows that is installed on a computer

This guide will explain how you can determine what version of Windows is installed on your computer and whether its a 32-bit or 64-bit installation.

If your Windows Start button looks like this Posted Image, then please follow these steps:

• Click on the Windows Start button.

• You should now see a screen similar to the one below:

Posted Image

Please right-click on the Computer icon as shown in the image above and select Properties.

• The System Properties screen should now open that displays the Windows version and whether or not it the operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Posted Image

The information on the version of Windows that is installed on your computer can be found under the Windows Edition section, which I have indicated with the blue arrow. Whether or not the installation is 32-bit or 64-bit can be found on the System Type row as designated by the red arrow in the picture above.

If your Windows Start button looks like this Posted Image, then please follow these steps:

• Click on the Windows Start button.

• You should now see a screen similar to the one below:

Posted Image

Please right-click on the My Computer icon as shown in the image above and select Properties.

• The System Properties screen should now open that displays the Windows version and whether or not it the operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit. Please note that this screen will only display if the operating system is 64-bit. If it does not specifically state 64-bit, then it is a 32-bit installation of Windows.

Posted Image

The information on the version of Windows that is installed on your computer can be found under the System section, which I have indicated with the blue box.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 11 January 2011 - 02:03 AM.
typo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 336 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Wow this is some interesting stuff Quietman,let me see if Im getting this right?My computer comes with 3,072.50 mega bytes and the info says I have 2.29 giga bytes available ,does that mean I have roughly 1050 or so mega bytes available space?So 2/3rds of it is being used? newbleeping

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#3 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 336 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

Grinler, BC is fantastic.....it is no wonder why both Microsoft and Mozilla refer people like myself to this forum as a secure and reputable place to get answers that they themselves cannot provide...WOW!I am just a beginner and this simple explanation of determining which version I have also gave me a much better understanding of the computers capacity to store and gather information....Im still not sure how these replies are seen by others and which ones remain confidential but Im happy to tell any novice that they need not look any further for assistance in any computer issue a person can come up against in this journey into a whole new world....my thanks to you all at BC(especially Quietman)newbleeping

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users