Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Documents and Settings\Network Service\Local...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tassiebob

tassiebob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

This might well be an old issue but have just joined BC.com (tonight in Australia). After some problems with various malware and a fake antivirus8 program, I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran a scan with some success. My question does not concern malware as such (yet:). When scanning, MBAV ploughs through some 30,000 temp i/net files supposedly in C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NETWORK SERVICE\local settings\temporary internet files\contentIE5\etc. How can I rid myself of these files? They are obvoiusly invisible to Win Explorer and also to CCleaner yet plainly obvious to MBAV which does not offer to delete them however.
Any number of references to this on google but precious few answers, most sites come with yet more malware etc and not much else, hence my question. Any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

The local settings folder is a hidden folder. If you want to see it, open 'my computer' goto 'tools' then 'folder options' then 'view' then check the 'show hidden files and folders' and press apply.

To easily clean theses files you can use 'ccleaner'

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol;1

Be careful not to install the toolbar, and it is also NOT recommeded to use the registry cleaning tool in the program.

#3 tassiebob

tassiebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Thanks Philb but not quite so simple. I have already selected 'show hidden files and folders'. In c:\documents and settings\ the only visible folders are \administrator, \all users, and \default user.
Within \administrator there is \local settings but the temp files have been deleted with CCleaner previously, along with history etc.
But nowhere can I find a \'network service' folder referred to by Malwarebytes during a scan. I have written down the path as in my first post;
C:\documents and settings\network service\local settings\temporary internet files\content IE5\(then several subdirectories). I might add that MBAV does not find any problem with these 30,000 files but it takes about 15 minutes to scan them each time and I am sure they are slowing down the rest of the machine also, so I would love to find them and get rid of them.

#4 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

Just checked on my computer, and you have to un-tick the 'hide protected operating system files' box(same place as the show hidden files option), as well.

#5 tassiebob

tassiebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:47 AM

Thanks again Phil. I was tempted to uncheck the box about the system files but got a dire warning and chickened out, but once I did, lo and behold, there were all the temp i/net files. CCleaner could not see them tho (find them?) but I've now deleted them manually from My Computer, not too bad once you get the system going. I happy now, cheers.

#6 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

Glad it's sorted,.... that was a hell of a lot of files!!! :)

#7 tassiebob

tassiebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

I just thought I would add in case it is of use to others, I would have never even known these files were there if I hadn't run the Malwarebytes scan and noticed it was taking an inordinate ammount of time to get through all these temp internet files. This is just after going through and deleting history and temp files via both IE8 and Firefox and then running CCleaner just in case!
And this is after checking the 'show hidden files and folders' box as well. I'm gratefull for the help, Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users