Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OTL.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hert

Hert

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

A new tool for the treatment of PC, provides information more than RSIT, but supports scripts treat as Сombofiх. Has anyone researched this utility? Who has any opinion on the OTL?

Сource:http://www.geekstogo.com/2010/05/27/otl-by-oldtimer-a-modern-replacement-for-hijackthis/

Edited by Hert, 06 January 2011 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

OTL is used here by the malware helpers. The use is dependent on what the helper is most comfortable with and the situation for it's possible use. Bleeping Computer uses DDS to initiate the process of malware log help. But the person who picks up the log and helps may decide to use OTL. OTL is just one of the many tools in a malware helpers arsenal.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Hert

Hert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

Thank you very much! :busy:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

You're welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 aplayeru

aplayeru

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Good Morning I seem to have some malware/adware that is annoying but not causing problems that I am aware of.   I am running Win 8 beta version 64 bit. I tried to run combo fix and got an error combofix  not meant to run in compatibility mode.  I researched that and came up that I needed to run OTL.exe and then paste in patch.  That is where I am at this moment. Thanks

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Compatibility mode allows an older program written for an earlier versions of Windows to run on a new version. Running ComboFix in Compatibility mode may result in applying certain registry fixes specifically intended for a different operating system which can result in serious damage. As such, ComboFix will provide a warning message:
CF_compatibilityMode.png

This is one of the reasons why we recommend not to use ComboFix on your own. There are risks involved and we would prefer it if someone who knows how to resovle any issues that may arise is supervising its use.

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (i.e. Malware Response Team) who is assisting a member deal a malware issue on that system. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix (i.e. stalling, hanging, crashing) or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

Further, using ComboFix is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, OTL, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

While our policy is not to offer advice on running ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it, we are willing to assist with resolving problems caused after using it and we are certainly willing to help with malware disinfection. If that assistance requires running ComboFix, you will be advised what to do in order to get the tool to run properly or investigate any error messages. If you need such assistance, please read the "Preparation Guide For Requesting Help" starting at Step 6. When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users