Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Product Key swap?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CompXP64

CompXP64

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:34 AM

Lost story short:
My copy of Windows got corrupted, so I was forced to use the Windows CD Install->Repair Option. The computer is now running setup.
Yes, I could have installed a new copy of Windows, but I would prefer to repair my copy so I don't lose all my installations/drivers/etc.

So............

I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro x64 Edition, but only had a SP1 CD.
I downloaded a SP2 CD because I was unable to slipstream SP2 onto the SP1 disc without a 64bit OS. (This laptop is 32bit)
My SP1 cd is OEM from Cyberpower, whereas this SP2 CD is not.
I have a legitimate, valid CD key (I even called Microsoft support who verified it was legitimate) HOWEVER, the SP2 CD installation would not accept the OEM Key.
Microsoft Support directed me to contact Cyberpower (where I bought my system) or pay them $60 to help.

So after some googling about the difference in OEM/standard activation keys, I ran across Microsoft's technet site.
From the microsoft website, I used this key: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx (XP x64 Key provided there) in hopes I can re-apply my OEM Key later.

Now here's the questions:
1. Can I swap the technet.microsoft key (that I had to use to install Windows) with my OEM Key?
2. Is there a program to allow me to do so OR can it be done manually?
3. Or will I have to do another Install->Repair once I get Windows running to slipstream my SP1 OEM disc to use my legitimate key?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cheardrums

cheardrums

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

Hi CompXP64
This should help with the slip-streaming http://www.nliteos.com/download.html
Try to make an ISO (or any other CD-image) of your corrupted CD and slip-stream SP2 into that if successful.
You can actually include the OEM key also but only if ripped from OEM original.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,205 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

<<I downloaded a SP2 CD because I was unable to slipstream SP2 onto the SP1 disc without a 64bit OS.>>

Are you saying that you downloaded an illegal version of Windows...and are trying to use that to do a repair install?

Louis

#4 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Hi CompXP64
This should help with the slip-streaming http://www.nliteos.com/download.html
Try to make an ISO (or any other CD-image) of your corrupted CD and slip-stream SP2 into that if successful.
You can actually include the OEM key also but only if ripped from OEM original.

First: My OEM CD isn't corrupt. It's just old. It only has SP 1 on it. :) Second: I have nLite for slipstreaming. It's what I use to apply my motherboard drivers to the installation CD. HOWEVER, you can not slipstream SP2 of xp x64 edition without a 64bit operating system! It warned me about this when I attempted it. I tried anyways- it doesn't/will not work.

Are you saying that you downloaded an illegal version of Windows...and are trying to use that to do a repair install?
Louis

Yes- I did download another copy of Windows XP x64 bit edition with SP2 (a non-hacked/non-cracked manufacturer copy which requires activation), for the sake of repairing my legitimate installation, since my legit OEM installation disc can't be slipstreamed with SP2. I have a legitimate copy of Windows XP Pro x64 that I paid full price for. I've not sold or exploited my activation key with multiple installations on multiple computers (It's only been used once before- for my initial installation of XP!) unlike most users I know. I'm not reselling this copy I downloaded or using it for anything other than repairing my legitimate copy of windows- heck, 99% chance I'm going to toss it in the trash anyways.
If owning a legitimate copy and not exploiting it doesn't entitle me to downloading a copy with a service pack (SP2) that I *should* be able to slipstream onto my current copy for free anyways, I don't know what does.

Still no answer to my question of if I can move my legitimate key into this repaired installation, however.
If not, I'm probably just going to slipstream MY OEM cd once I get WinXP running again (since it requires a 64bit os to do so) and Install->Repair again.

Edited by CompXP64, 05 January 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Just for clarification. You d\l`d only SP2(?). Not XP with SP2(?).

There is no safe LEGAL source known to me to d\l the XP OS with or with out any SP.

Edited by ThunderZ, 05 January 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

Would you please post a link to the site where you made the download?

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

#7 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

No, I will not supply a download link. Why? Because I'm not going to spread a location where people can download something they don't own.
Clearly the overwhelming concerns of the people of this board are if I obtained an illegal copy, or obtained the copy in an illegal manner.

Do I own Windows XP Pro x64 bit? Yes, I paid full price for it in addition to my computer, since it was custom-built.
Do I have a valid activation/licence key? Yes. (note: I even called Microsoft when my OEM key wouldn't activate the downloaded SP2 copy, who verified my key as legal and an OEM version.)
Am I legally entitled to have a backup copy? Yes.
Could I make a backup of my product with this free service pack installed? Yes- if I had a working 64bit OS to slipstream the CD.
Did I download the same product that I already own? No. I downloaded the same product I already own WITH A FREE SERVICE PACK ON THE DISC.
Did I download P2P, thereby uploading to someone who possibly does not own the software? No.
Did I download off a torrent/hack/warez website? No.
Where did my copy come from? Well, if you absolutely *must* know, my aunt/uncle run a computer shop a few states over, and uploaded a copy of their sp2 installation cd to a private location, wherein I downloaded it.
Will I be selling this backup copy? No.
Will I be throwing it away when I'm done? Yes, since it doesn't accept my LEGAL OEM activation key.

If you're still concerned about the validity of my owning a copy of Windows XP x64 edition, I could take a picture of the side of the case that has the little holographic sticker and 25-digit code, which I would black-out.

But seeing as how I couldn't get a simple yes/no answer to "is there a way I can put my LEGAL cd key into this SP2 installation" doesn't matter anymore, since once I got windows working from a repair on my downloaded copy, I slipstreamed SP onto my OEM disk and did another install->repair. I am now downloading my 107 Windows updates, Internet Explorer 8, etc. directly from Windows Update, who would probably de-activate my OS if I didn't have a legal key.

You guys are so concerned about people pirating that you can't answer a simple question that (possibly) could have saved me the time of slipstreaming, burning a cd, and doing another install->repair to windows. Turns out that I had to do that anyways, since there is a method of exchanging activation keys in Windows XP, which (guess what) requires that you activate your copy of windows after you do so to ensure it's a legal copy. However, this does NOT work with OEM copies, so I would've had to done what I'd done anyways. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

Edited by CompXP64, 05 January 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Where did my copy come from? Well, if you absolutely *must* know, my aunt/uncle run a computer shop a few states over, and uploaded a copy of their sp2 installation cd to a private location, wherein I downloaded it.

That is all you would have had to say from the beginning.

BC has a very highly respected place in the Internet Help Forums community. Even getting referrals from MS.

That is why they must tread so carefully when dealing with matters\requests such as yours.

#9 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,925 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

I downloaded a SP2 CD because I was unable to slipstream SP2 onto the SP1 disc without a 64bit OS. (This laptop is 32bit)

This topic is so convoluted that I need a list to keep this straight.

If you had a 32-bit operating system why would you try to do a repair with a 64-bit installation CD?

I understand that because this is a OEM version of Windows it is activated prior to the sale of the computer. But by doing a repair installation with the slipstreamed service pack will require re-activation. If you slipstreamed the current service pack that is installed on your computer along with the correct version of the operating system installed, why wouldn't Microsoft activate it?

#10 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

If you had a 32-bit operating system why would you try to do a repair with a 64-bit installation CD?

I'm using a Win Vista 32bit laptop to post to the forums, since the Windows XP computer will not boot.

I understand that because this is a OEM version of Windows it is activated prior to the sale of the computer. But by doing a repair installation with the slipstreamed service pack will require re-activation. If you slipstreamed the current service pack that is installed on your computer along with the correct version of the operating system installed, why wouldn't Microsoft activate it?

Doesn't matter that the OEM version was activated prior. Yes, doing a repair install will require re-activation. There's no issues with activation at all here. I'm not sure where you got the idea it was an activation problem?

The issue is I'm trying to use a non-OEM version (of the exact same OS) to repair an installed OEM version. Because I'm using a Non-OEM install disc, the OEM key registers as invalid (since the key is specific to that OEM version). I wanted to repair using the non-OEM version, then change the activation key INSIDE of windows to my OEM key.

#11 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,925 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

If you are doing a repair installation you shouldn't need the product code. If you have been asked for the product code you are doing an installation, not a repair.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,205 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

Bottom line, IMO: Microsoft is the authority...on PA, licensing of its products, and such.

Going to a forum in search of answers to questions relative to such...doesn't seem like a direct path to me.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users