Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix Hangs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Digitaldj

Digitaldj

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

I have had problems booting to windows, I can boot to safe mode but I get an 00000050 error when trying to boot to XP. I removed the harddrive from the notebook and ran Eset scan which found a Trojan in the MBR. This probably is what is proventing the main boot.
Eset cannot remove the infection from the MBR so I emailed them with the issue. They requested that I run ComboFix and then send them the Log file.

I ran ComboFix from safe mode and it got all the way to "Deleting Folders:" and has now hung at the 6 folder deletion. Not sure what I should do now.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Digitaldj

Digitaldj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

Further to this I have now run Combofix 5 times only to have it hang at verious stages of the run. Typically at or after the 5oth Stage has been completed.

So what next. Is there something i have missed?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS in safe mode there is no antivirus runing not networking so no firewall and not CD emulation is installed on the notebook so I not sure what it could be.

Edited by Digitaldj, 21 December 2010 - 02:45 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (i.e. Malware Response Team) who is assisting a member deal a malware issue on that system. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

Further, using ComboFix is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

With that said, there are circumstances ComboFix will hang, crash or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable other real-time protection tools or the presence of CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) so that it does not complete successfully. Also, depending on how badly a system is infected, ComboFix may take longer to complete its routine than it normally does or fail to run properly. While that is not normal behavior, it is not unusual. This is just another reason why you should only use ComboFix under supervision.

If you were advised to run ComboFix by a trained expert at another security forum then you need to contact that person for assistance. That Helper should be able to address any issues you encountered when running the tool as they should have the knowledge and resources to do so.

If not and you need assistance with a malware infection that requires using ComboFix, please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help".
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.
  • When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Edited by quietman7, 23 December 2010 - 11:46 PM.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users