Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open Internet Explorer, Chrome opens, nothing happens

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 reerun2525

reerun2525

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Hi,

I was looking for some help with a machine on my work network. Everything seems fine with the workstation, a Dell Optiplex 380 running WinXp SerPk 3. It can log onto the network, access netwotk drives, but when you click on the IE icon, nothing happens. If I click on "Update Windows" I get an hourglass for a few seconds, the hourglass goes away, and nothing happens. I got the stand-alone installer for Chrome to see if I could install and get it to work. It installed fine, and when I click on the Chrome icon, Chrome opens up, but nothing ever loads. In Safe Mode, the same symptoms, except Chrome will give me an error message that the page(s) unresponsive and do I want to kill it or wait. I have run Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, and CCleaner, everything checks out OK. Please point me in the right direction as what to try, or what program to run and I will post logs. I am posting from another computer, and would really appreciate some help. Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

What version of IE are you running?
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 Jhor

Jhor

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

It's probably browser corruption. If you are running IE7 or before, download the IE8 standalone on Chrome and install it; if you are running IE8 uninstall it then reinstall it with a standalone. I'd be more concerned with why the browser isn't working to begin with. It could just be corruption or it could be something more serious.

#4 reerun2525

reerun2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:08 AM

To be honest, I do not remember, and I am unable to open the program to check the version, unless there is another place or way to look for the version info. Also, if I start Malwarebytes or Super Antispyware, I can download or update definitions no problem in each program, using their update functions, so I know I am getting out to the net, just can't get a browser to work....

#5 reerun2525

reerun2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

It's probably browser corruption. If you are running IE7 or before, download the IE8 standalone on Chrome and install it; if you are running IE8 uninstall it then reinstall it with a standalone. I'd be more concerned with why the browser isn't working to begin with. It could just be corruption or it could be something more serious.

As I mentioned in my first post, when IE stopped working, I used the stand-alone installer of Chrome, it installed fine, but will not browse out to the internet, so using it to download IE8 is not an option, although I could download it with another computer, and put on flash drive or CD and put it on the troubled workstation.....

#6 Jhor

Jhor

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

You should be able to check the version number in Add/remove programs.

#7 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:25 AM

To find out what version you are using go to Start> All Programs and right click on Internet Explorer, click on Properties, click on the Shortcut tab, click on Find Target. When this page opens move you pointer over the Internet Explorer file. The version should appear.

#8 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

You should be able to check the version number in Add/remove programs.

I too had thought that it would show there, but it doesn't on my computer.

#9 reerun2525

reerun2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

Version 8.0.6001.18702

#10 Jhor

Jhor

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

Really? That's odd. Although IE8 might only show up under Windows Components. Your way of doing it was definitely more surefire though. :)

Edited by Jhor, 14 December 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

Let's try this.

Go to Start> RUN and type cmd.

In the command prompt type cd\ then press Enter.
In the command prompt type cd Program Files then press Enter.
In the command prompt type cd Internet Explorer then press Enter.
In the command prompt type regsvr32 IEPROSY.DLL Then press Enter.

You should get a confirmation that the IEPROXY.DLL has been registered. You can then close all windows and try Internet Explorer again.

Edited by dc3, 14 December 2010 - 11:05 AM.

#12 reerun2525

reerun2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

I did as you said, except I think you had a type in the instructions, you had IEPROSY.DLL and I typed IEPROXY.DLL. I go tthe pop up window saying it had registered successfully. Closed all windows, then double clicked IE icon, got a hourglass for less than a second, and nothing......

#13 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

It was worth a shot.

Have you tried uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling it?

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

Close all programs before starting this process.

Start> Control Panel> Programs> Feature.

In the tasks pane, click on Turn Windows features on or off.

In the list of windows features, clear the check box next to Internet Explorer 8.

You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

The computer will restart.

When your computer restarts open Internet Explorer.

In the Help menu click on About Internet Explorer. If Internet Explorer 6 or 7 appears in the About Internet Explorer dialog box you are finished.

You can now either use IE7 or reinstall IE8.

Edited by dc3, 14 December 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#14 Jhor

Jhor

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:01 PM

If you are reinstalling it don't do it through Windows Updates, download it and install it as a standalone from here: IE8 Download

Another option before you uninstall it is try running Microsoft Fixit from: Fixit Download
The downside of Fixit is sometimes you restart your computer and everything is back to the way it was. It's worth a shot though if you don't want to uninstall IE.

#15 reerun2525

reerun2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

I went to Control Panel, add/remove programs, selects add/remove windows component on the left side, and unchecked box in front of Internet Explorer. It seems all that did was remove icons from desktop and start menu. I rebooted and now there is no icon or exe in the IE directory under Program files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users