Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change startup order

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to change the order of programs that auto start when system loads!

For example, I want to have MalwareBytes and Antivirus starts first before internet connection...or some others programs

MalwareBytes first because I have PRO version...

Hope you understand what I want to do, I searched it over internet, but it is confused

Thx in adv :busy:

Max

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spencerm

spencerm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:07 AM

Good question - I'd like to know how as well :) I know how to use MSCONFIG to edit startup items, but not how to reorder.

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

I get a WMI event id 10 error every day at start-up and Microsoft informed me that I was getting this error because one of the drivers was loading out of sequence. They told me that this was safe to ignore and would cause me no problems. It hasn't caused me any problem and I've been ignoring it for nearly a year now. If there was a way to change the order in which drivers or apps would load to eliminate this error I would hope that Microsoft would have told me. Maybe there is a way, for the right price of course, but Micro$oft won't give it to me. I wish I could be of more help because if I had an answer I could get rid of my daily Event ID 10 nuisance.

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

I don't believe you can manage the order with msconfig. I don't know of any other applications that will do this either, perhaps someone else here will.
Please note:  A family emergency occurred on 08/18/2014.  Because of this my time here will be limited until our family member has recovered enough for me to get back to my normal daily routine.  I apologize to those of you who I had been helping, I will try to get back to you as quickly as I can.

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

I just had a thought. I don't get these thoughts very often as I've learned that 'thinking' hurts the first couple of times. I've noticed that many of my Startup Programs appear in the 'Services' panel. My AVG security is one of them. If you wanted to get creative and try changing some of the 'Properties' from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed Start) you might get the results you're looking for, or at least some of them.

#6 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

My humble advice is, unless you're adamant about using Windows settings, use WinPatrol. Scotty dog does a great job of managing my startup programs in 7 Ultimate, and it's easy as pie to use.

#7 max7bg

max7bg
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

My humble advice is, unless you're adamant about using Windows settings, use WinPatrol. Scotty dog does a great job of managing my startup programs in 7 Ultimate, and it's easy as pie to use.

Doesn't work, it delay some other programs, not MalwareBytes
It just shows at taskbar about a minut later than other programs... <_<

#8 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

Don't know if this will help oolauncher not used it myself so can't give any kind of support or guidance or validity.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/launch-startup-programs-and-processes-one-by-one-with-oolauncher/
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#9 davecatterall

davecatterall

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

Your security software is starting second in sequence even if you do not see the systray icons until later in the startup process.

From BurrWalnut:

the icons in systray are just the user interfaces. Have a look at the list below and you will see that Services start before programs and your firewall/antivirus starts as services. You can move programs between keys 7 and 11 but don't change any others.

The start order is controlled by registry keys. This is the actual sequence, starting immediately after boot.ini has been read and ending with your program entries in Start > All Programs > Startup.

1.HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
2.Services are started
3.User (some) enters a password to logon to the system
4.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit
5.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
Programs for ALL USERS keys start next:
6.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
7.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
8.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
9.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx
Programs in CURRENT USER keys start next:
10.HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
11.HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
12.HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
13.HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx
14.Programs in STARTUP FOLDER(S) are started last of all

#10 max7bg

max7bg
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

Don't know if this will help oolauncher not used it myself so can't give any kind of support or guidance or validity.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/launch-startup-programs-and-processes-one-by-one-with-oolauncher/

Your security software is starting second in sequence even if you do not see the systray icons until later in the startup process.

From BurrWalnut:

the icons in systray are just the user interfaces. Have a look at the list below and you will see that Services start before programs and your firewall/antivirus starts as services. You can move programs between keys 7 and 11 but don't change any others.

The start order is controlled by registry keys. This is the actual sequence, starting immediately after boot.ini has been read and ending with your program entries in Start > All Programs > Startup.

1.HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
2.Services are started
3.User (some) enters a password to logon to the system
4.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit
5.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
Programs for ALL USERS keys start next:
6.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
7.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
8.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
9.HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunEx
Programs in CURRENT USER keys start next:
10.HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce