Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Trace

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 rush075

rush075

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hello, I've been invaded by a Malware Trace. I don't have any idea how I got it. I have tried MalwareBytes and that doesn't seem to help. I run Malwarebytes again and there is still one infected registry key entry. I run SuperAntiSpyware and it shows up as (Malware.Trace) that comes back again and again.
I have a HP PC with Windows XP Sp3.

Can you Help me?

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum, due to no malware logs present in topic when posted. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hello, I am moving this to the Am I Infected forum as this forum requires certain logs.

Please post your last MBAM and SAS logs along with this one,thanks.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner.
This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator.
To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 rush075

rush075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

Good Evening Boopme, and thanks for stepping up to give me a hand in correcting this problem. The following are the results of the various Scan Logs you requested.

Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner

No threats found - No option to save file. No Log Produced.

Malwarebytes Quick Scan

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5235

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

12/2/2010 3:33:57 PM
mbam-log-2010-12-02 (15-33-57).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 133910
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowHelp (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
*************************************************************************************************
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 12/02/2010 at 06:09 AM

Application Version : 4.46.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 5940
Trace Rules Database Version: 3752

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:23:26

Memory items scanned : 466
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6708
Registry threats detected : 1
File items scanned : 16623
File threats detected : 0

Malware.Trace
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon#Taskman

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,409 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

OK, this is the recurring demon?
Malware.Trace

Do you have SpyBot or win Patrol running?
If so you will need to diab;e them and rescan..

If not I susppect a rootkit/
Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#5 rush075

rush075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

Good Morning,

Here is the GMER Scan:

GMER 1.0.15.15530 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit quick scan 2010-12-03 08:30:49
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP0T0L0-3 MAXTOR_STM3500630A rev.3.AAE
Running: 0ml7ibrx.exe; Driver: C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\awliikob.sys

---- System - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) ZwCreateProcessEx [0xEF220BAE]
Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) ZwCreateSection [0xEF2209D2]
Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) ZwLoadDriver [0xEF220B0C]
Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) NtCreateSection
Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) ObInsertObject
Code \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software) ObMakeTemporaryObject

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 ----

Device aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/AVAST Software)
Device Ntfs.sys (NT File System Driver/Microsoft Corporation)

AttachedDevice TfFsMon.sys (ThreatFire Filesystem Monitor/PC Tools)

Device Fastfat.SYS (Fast FAT File System Driver/Microsoft Corporation)

AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/AVAST Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/AVAST Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/AVAST Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/AVAST Software)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

Ok sorry it's not in there. We will have once more update and scan with MBAM and SAS and see if it returns. If so we will have to get a deeper look.

#7 rush075

rush075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

The results of a complete Scan for Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5236

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

12/3/2010 2:40:15 AM
mbam-log-2010-12-03 (02-40-15).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 179013
Time elapsed: 23 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowHelp (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
*****************************************************************************************************************
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 12/03/2010 at 05:53 AM

Application Version : 4.46.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 5946
Trace Rules Database Version: 3758

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:25:00

Memory items scanned : 460
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6708
Registry threats detected : 1
File items scanned : 16640
File threats detected : 3

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt

Malware.Trace

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

Ok, the MBAM item is not a problem. That is just showing a section of the new engine 1.50 is not open yet. MBAM will open that soon. It's not a malware. The other ...well I guess we need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

#9 presario

presario

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hi rush075, I have exactly the same problem as you, with both Malwarebytes and SUPERantispyware & Registry Items.
[Without the 3 Tracking Cookies].

Malwarebytes detected:
(PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> So I Quarantined and deleted it successfully.

SUPERAntispyware detected:
Malware.Trace [ 1 Item ]

I have a Compaq PC with Windows XP Sp3. I don't understand how this 'Winlogon#Taskman' can be a genuine threat.
I have recently re-formatted and installed the software including all updates to the PC. Since then I have only
visited [Homepage] sites to download Antivirus and Antispyware software and no others. If it is Malware, I don't
know where it could have come from.

Malwarebytes scans are now coming back clean, but SUPERAntispyware is still finding:
Malware.Trace [ 1 Item ]

I am reluctant to just quarantine or delete it - I want to know what it is / where it came from / and what
damage it could have done.

If I find any answers, I will let you know. It could just be a 'False Positive'.

Regards,
presario.

Ps. Thanks boopme, for your explanation about MBAM and your help.

Edited by presario, 04 December 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#10 rush075

rush075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hi presario
As you know my problem, my last scan of SAS revealed no infection, but that doesn't mean I am out of the woods. My last scan of MBAM stull has the invection. In both cases sometimes they are there and others they are gone.

Good luck,
Rush

#11 presario

presario

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hi Rush,
Thanks for your reply. SAS still finds the 'Winlogon#Taskman - Malware.Trace' on my machine with every scan.
MBAM scans are clean. Avast scans are clean. I've also installed Ad-Aware as an experiment to see if it
can find anything, but the scans from it are clean... It's a mystery! I'll try to fix it over the
next few days and if I can't, I'll re-format the HD and do a complete recovery - [I don't like to think
there's Unknown Malware somewhere on my PC].

Good luck to you too,
Presario

Edited by presario, 04 December 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#12 rush075

rush075
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hello Boopme,

For some reason I cannot locate the Log I created relating to step 9 of the Preparation Guide so I created another and it is located at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic365305.html

Thanks for your Help.

Rush

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,409 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

OK, we at least have a log now.
Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users