Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Remove Qoobox

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 dl16

dl16

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Ok.. just ran CF on two machines and the Qoobox directory won't delete on either of them like in the past. I tried doing it in safe mode but the problem seems to be with the "BackEnv" folder. It is empty but still says that the folder is in use/write protected etc. etc. I have major OCD and do not want any unnecessary folders in the root of drive. How can I get rid of the directory?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dl16

dl16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:04 PM

Nevermind. Thought too hard on this one. Start->run->combofix /uninstall did the trick. Close this sucker up...

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

With that said, you used the proper command to remove it.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 The Computer Guru

The Computer Guru

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

This is stupid. The guy asks how to remove the QOOBOX directory from his computer. Then he comes up with a command that removes COMBOFIX, not the Qoobox directory, and says case closed. Then the other guy says that that was correct. What are people smoking? The command listed does not remove Qoobox, all it does it remove combofix! If anyone has a real answer to this valid question, please post!

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,455 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hello.

First of all. . . there is no need for rudeness here, so please use discretion when choosing how to express yourself.

In answer to your question, Qoobox is a related to ComboFix. Uninstalling the tool deletes the directory along with all other aspects of the program.

Hope that helps.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,560 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

The Uninstall switch does a few other tricks too.

#7 griffinca

griffinca

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

I ended up using Unlocker freeware to delete this folder. Just install unlocker (it then shows in your tray). Then try to delete the file and get the message that it is locked. Unlocker will then popup and ask if you want to take an action. Choose delete and be patient. To find unlocker, just google "unlocker freeware". Icon looks like a magic wand with a star on top. I've used it off and on for years.

#8 Dullahan8

Dullahan8

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:29 AM

I uninstalled CF after receiving help from BC but the Qoobox folder is still there and I can't delete it.

I ended up using Unlocker freeware to delete this folder. Just install unlocker (it then shows in your tray). Then try to delete the file and get the message that it is locked. Unlocker will then popup and ask if you want to take an action. Choose delete and be patient. To find unlocker, just google "unlocker freeware". Icon looks like a magic wand with a star on top. I've used it off and on for years.

I used to use Unlocker when I was on WinXP so I know how great it works but it doesn't seem to work anymore on Win7, such a shame. The version I found is 1.9.1.

#9 James Kotak

James Kotak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

Hello.

First of all. . . there is no need for rudeness here, so please use discretion when choosing how to express yourself.

In answer to your question, Qoobox is a related to ComboFix. Uninstalling the tool deletes the directory along with all other aspects of the program.

Hope that helps.

~Blade

No, BZ... You DID NOT answer his question. It is quite obvious the above user's frustration is warranted, as people have this ridiculous habit of replying to posts with information RELATED TO the questions posed, but absent a clear and concise answer to such. Those types of responses seed the internet with billions of useless posts, creating false search engine hits and wasting server space. It's time moderators started deleting "answers" that don't specifically answer the question posed and stopped encouraging those people who post them. Furthermore, it would be quite helpful for a "helper" around here to answer a question properly even if the initial poster has found an indirect method of accomplishing the task initially asked about. Forums are not on the net for simply 1 single person to get an answer to their question; They are here for search engines to pick up and spread the information requested all around the world to literally millions of people who might have the same question. So going out of one's way to add a response that might more adequately addresses the initial question is far more helpful than posting/confirming a single indirect method that might have worked for the 1 person who posted the initial question.

The question was: "HOW CAN I REMOVE THE 'Qoobox' FOLDER?". It wasn't "How do I uninstall Combofix?" The fact that uninstalling Combofix will delete the folder in question is wonderful for those who have Combofix installed, but for those of us who don't it is a completely worthless reply that DOES NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Since the time that question was replied to multiple times and not appropriately answered, others have chimed in on this thread as well with the same problem and question. Someone even suggested finding and installing a certain software app to do the trick. But still, no response from anyone here who knows SPECIFICALLY how to "REMOVE THE FOLDER". Removing the "Qoobox" folder is all I want to do. I don't have Combofix installed. I don't want to install some 3rd party application to do a job that I can do myself if given an ANSWER to the question at the top of this thread.

And so, I ask:

How can I delete the "Qoobox" folder from within Windows Explorer? Or more specifically, how can I delete the protected folder "BackEnv", which is located inside of the "Qoobox" folder, from within Explorer?

I and countless others out here on the Net are, and in future will be, looking for the specific answer to this specific question.

Thank you,
James

Edited by James Kotak, 27 November 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,560 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

The question was: "HOW CAN I REMOVE THE 'Qoobox' FOLDER?". It wasn't "How do I uninstall Combofix?" The fact that uninstalling Combofix will delete the folder in question is wonderful for those who have Combofix installed, but for those of us who don't it is a completely worthless reply that DOES NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION.

dl16 started this topic, asked the initial question and found the answer was to uninstall ComboxFix. Doing that was confirmed.

Posted Image

The Computer Guru followed with a reply incorrectly stating the uninstall command does not remove Qoobox. He then asked if anyone has a real answer to this valid question to post it.

Blade Zephon did just that.

The Qoobox folder is intentionally created and used by ComboFix when running the tool. It is not created any other way than this...you must run ComboFix. The folder has a specific and legitimate purpose. When the folder is no longer needed the proper way to remove it is to uninstall the program (ComboFix) which created it. Again, uninstalling ComboFix removes the directory along with all other aspects of the program.

If ComboFix was not removed properly, it is not uncommon that the Qoobox folder may be found months (sometimes years) later remaining on a user's system.

#11 niteman69

niteman69

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

Now with all of that said and done by everyone. I have been goggling this now for over five hours. Since I do not have Combo fix on my computer and have never heard of it. Would someone some place on the www please answer the simple question "how can I remove Qoobox folder". This is my first post here and as a novice user it is very frustrating to google something and get 400,000 hits and not one answer. All most every time I google a computer question it has at lest one hit on this site yet only about 40% of the time is the persons question answered in a clear straight forward way that is a help to most people.

So please please could someone answer this question so that I may remove Qoobox folder. Thank you very much.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,560 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Welcome to BC niteman69

If ComboFix is not on your Desktop, go here, redownload it and save to the Desktop. <-Important!!!
  • Immediately after doing that, follow these instructions to properly uninstall it from your computer.
  • When it has finished you will see a dialog box stating that "ComboFix has been uninstalled".
  • After that, you can delete the ComboFix.exe program from your computer (Desktop).
  • Note: If you encounter any problems using the switch from the Run dialog box, just rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe, then double-click on it to remove.

#13 niteman69

niteman69

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thank you very much! Followed to the letter and it worked. I would have never thought to DL something in order to remove the whole thing. Does this concept work with most programs?

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,560 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

You're welcome.

Does this concept work with most programs?

In some cases...it depends on how the program was created and designed for removal. sUBs, the creator of ComboFix, has worked hard for years to provide us with an effective tool while balancing safety and easy of use.

For other programs, you may have to install first, then uninstall. However, sometimes the installer will recognize a previous installation and just give you the option to remove.

#15 KiKiDiKi

KiKiDiKi

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Welcome to BC niteman69

If ComboFix is not on your Desktop, go here, download it from BleepingComputer.com or InfoSpyware.net and save to the Desktop. <-Important!!!

• Immediately after doing that, follow these instructions to properly uninstall it from your computer.
  • When it has finished you will see a dialog box stating that "ComboFix has been uninstalled".
  • After that, you can delete the ComboFix.exe program from your computer (Desktop).
  • Note: If you encounter any problems using the switch from the Run dialog box, just rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe, then double-click on it to remove.

Hi, I have the same problem with the folder not letting me into it or delete it, I did all this and the folder is still there and still won't delete. Any help?
http://thereconcilecenter.proboards.com/index.cgi

Meow :) Go There it's cool. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users