Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader X secures itself by playing in the sandbox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:40 PM

Vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader have been a common target for hackers and malware distributors attempting to gain access to your computer. On November 18th, Adobe has released Adobe Reader X, which incorporates sandbox technology to protect your computer from unknown vulnerabilities that may be discovered in the future.This new sandbox feature is named Adobe Reader Protected Mode and it enabled by default when you install the new Adobe Reader X. When enabled, all operations that Adobe Reader uses to display a PDF document will be run in a restricted and confined environment called a Sandbox. It is important to note, that sandboxing an application is more secure when that application is run under Windows Vista or Windows 7 as they support integrity levels.This sandbox will help to prevent future vulnerabilities that may allow malicious PDF documents that are opened by Adobe Reader to access the configuration and file structure of your computer. That means that the malicious PDF will no longer be able to install malware, change registry settings, or create files on your computer.Unfortunately, when you install Adobe Reader X it will reset any configuration settings that you used in the past to secure Reader. Therefore, after installing Adobe Reader X make sure you do the following steps:

Disable Javascript - When the program is open, click on Edit and select Preferences. Then click on the Javascript category and uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.

Disable Windows Trusted Sites - When the program is open, click on Edit and select Preferences. Then click on the Security (Enhanced) category and uncheck Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones.

Secure Trust Manager - When the program is open, click on Edit and select Preferences. Then click on the Trust Manager category and uncheck Allow opening of non-PDF file attachments with external applications.

As long as you secure Reader again after installing Reader X, it is suggested that all users uninstall their previous versions of this program and immediately install Adobe Reader X. Not only will this protect you from any current vulnerabilities, but will also protect you from any future ones. That is until the malware developers learn how to bypass this new feature. For now, though, if you plan on using Adobe Reader, then there is no excuse not to install Adobe Reader X.Download links for both the Windows and Mac version of Adobe Reader X can be found below.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snowydog

Snowydog

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

My apologies but am confused with this
I have had PDF problems..they all come through in hieroglyphics. I installed the Adobe Reader X.
But there is a line in your post
"As long as you secure Reader again..."

How do I do this? I unchecked the recommended things Do i need to go back and recheck them??

Many thanks for the advice

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 40,524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

Securing Reader is by unchecking the items I mentioned in the article.

#4 djmathias

djmathias

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

thanks for the info..as always i trust your site an rely on it's content and advise...keep up the good work!! :thumbsup:

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

It's interesting to see how Adobe has decided to handle the vulnerabilities of Reader. But I'm certainly glad they've taken some drastic measures to help make it safer. Thanks for the info, Grinler.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 Beth102

Beth102

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:13 AM

I had no idea that pdf files could install infections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users