Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot from CD for Windows XP re-install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Don3312

Don3312

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

Computer wont boot from CD for Windows XP re-install.

Hi, had been planning on re-formatting the hard drive for some time, then got a “security hoax” virus so that pushed he to do my re-install. Problem is, my computer won’t boot form the CD drive. I’ve got a Dell Dimension 3000. Here’s what I’ve done.

First, I ran several malware programs to seek and destroy the virus. Then…the disc is an original Windows XP re-install disc. When placed in the drive, it does recognize it, and starts the program. I select re-install the operating system and it states no can do because you are attempting to install XP service pack 1 and your running service pack 3. The drive appears to be working properly.

I re-start, and it boots from the hard drive (never prompts me to press any key to boot from disc). Next I enter the BIOS set up and set the boot sequence to boot from CD first. The computer still starts from the hard drive. I next tried setting it to only boot from CD not hard drive and I just get “F1 try again, F2 enter BIOS”. I keep playing with the settings and have gotten the prompt “press any key to boot from CD but when I do so, nothing happens except it goes to the hard drive and starts up.

I had two disc drives so I dis-connected the slave and made sure the remaining drive is set as master. I also tried physically dis-connecting the hard drive and tried booting from disk but kept getting the F1 F2 prompt.

I don’t think I ever updated my BIOS and read that as a suggestion, but now I can’t get the internet connection to work for a possible update. I also read and tried removing and replacing the mother board battery…didn’t help. I also tried booting from a thumb drive but it just continues to go to the hard drive.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

Is Your CD/DVD-ROM drive detected by the BIOS? I want to say that there are many causes that can prevent your computer from booting from your CD, check these possible causes:

- CD/DVD disc is not bootable
- Damaged CD/DVD disc
- Check if your CD/DVD-ROM drive jumpers are set properly
- Bad SATA/IDE cables
- Damaged CD/DVD-ROM drive

#3 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

You can't do a repair install of SP3 with a version XP SP1, so to do a repair install you would need to roll back to SP2, anfd then SP1, if that works then you can do the repair install from the XP SP1 CD.

The easiest way to do this would be to go to MS Support and down load the XP SP2 installer and burn that and then burn a copy of the XP SP3 installer. Thatw ay after you roll back the OS to SP1 (if it works) then you can update the service packs more quickley.

I have rolled back my home machine to XP SP2 to do a repair install, but I have never rolled back a machine to SP1

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,176 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

<<...and it states no can do because you are attempting to install XP service pack 1 and your running service pack 3.>>

Simple solution, Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Just add the SP3 download to the CD contents, following the directions for slipstreaming/updating. Then use the XP CD you create to attempt the install.

Louis

EDIT: I just noticed that this is a Dell and you say that it's a "reinstallation CD". If it's not a genuine XP CD, you may not be able to slipstream.

Edited by hamluis, 22 November 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

First, I ran several malware programs to seek and destroy the virus. Then…the disc is an original Windows XP re-install disc. When placed in the drive, it does recognize it, and starts the program. I select re-install the operating system and it states no can do because you are attempting to install XP service pack 1 and your running service pack 3. The drive appears to be working properly.

You have referred to the CD as a re-installation disk. Is this the purple CD?

If you were able to get the installation CD to start the reinstall process then there isn't a problem with the CD drive.

Do you have access to a XP SP2 of SP3 installation CD which is the same version as your own, Home or Pro?

If you do, then another option would be to wipe the hdd with a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke. This will completely overwrite the entire hdd. You can then use the installation CD to install XP SP2 and update to SP3. After you have installed the operating system you can go to this site to download the needed Service Pack.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users