Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security Center cant be opened

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 naveen21

naveen21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

Attached File  SpybotSD.Results.txt   184.96KB   6 downloadsWhenever I try to open Windows security center(WSC) on action center I get a message "Windows Security Center cant be started".I am using Windows 7.I have Microsft Security Essentials(MSE) as Antivirus.

I recently had a malware attack on my lap after which I was unable to run both MSE and Windows Defender(WD).I was able to get rid of them using MBAM.Unfortunately i dont have a log for it now.But even after gettin rid of those malwares I was not able to open my WSC as well as WD and MSE.

I tried changing WD and WSC and Microsoft Anti-Malware Service in services to automatic->Start but they automatically become disabled after 1-2 mins.

I then ran SPYBOT which gave the following log(attached)

I was then able to immunize it on spybot but still I am not able to access WSC,WD and MSE.

What should I do?Please help.I am losing my sleep over this :(

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 20 November 2010 - 06:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

hi did you try reinstalling Microsoft Security Essentials

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#3 naveen21

naveen21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:55 AM

I thought of reinstalling it but the security center itself wont open.So I dont think reinstalling MSE will do any good.

#4 naveen21

naveen21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:12 AM

Any other way?

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:16 AM

I thought of reinstalling it but the security center itself wont open.So I dont think reinstalling MSE will do any good.

you are likely right ,I tried reinstalling it last night[i was having problem updating it ] and it wouldn't ,said that i only need one installed at a time,so i guess it doesn't copy over itself like most programs .

Edited by caperjac, 21 November 2010 - 05:19 AM.

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#6 Ludus Tonalis

Ludus Tonalis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

I have had a very similar problem since 16/11/10, I think from a drive-by virus.

Microsoft Securiy Essentials and the Security Centre became disabled. The services Microsoft Antimalware and Security Center Service are both disabled, and although it is possible to change the status to either Automatic or Manual, and to restart them, almost immediately they are returned to the disabled status and stopped. MSE will not start, and the Security Center is crippled.

The machine in question uses Windows XP Professional, SP3, fully updated except that IE6 is installed for website testing. All the other main browsers are installed.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSE, but the problem persists. Windows Live Once Care web-based virus scan found and supposedly eliminated one virus, but this did not correct the problem. Since then, I have re-run the WLOC scan and run the Trend Micro web-based scan, and neither can find any problem. A system restore to well before the date this all started did not remove the problem either.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am providing a link to Microsoft's Microsoft Security Essentials forums support web page.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/bf757e6a-e320-4a67-92bc-767e6acb26c4

This link has some useful information regarding installing MSE and the adverse effects of having other programs or scanners installed at the same time.

One care as it was is called is a discontinued product.

Quote from Microsoft below:

"Does MSE replace OneCare? Yes, and no. OneCare is now a discontinued product, and will not be supported after December 2010. Please see http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm for more information. But, what did OneCare have that MSE does not? OneCare provided management of a “circle” of PCs. This management included backups, scans, and tune-ups of all PCs in the circle by the hub PC. This does not exist in MSE. With MSE, you must manage each PC individually, using the Windows tools. OneCare also included a firewall. MSE will use the Windows Firewall. OneCare and MSE both provide full anti-malware protection. MSE is free while OneCare required a paid subscription."

End of quote.

Your quote below naveen21:

"I recently had a malware attack on my lap after which I was unable to run both MSE and Windows Defender(WD)."

End of your quote.

You can NOT run both programs at the same time naveen21.

When MSE is installed, it automatically disables Windows Defender.

This is supposed to happen to avoid conflicts between the two programs, which do basically the same thing anyways.

In my personal opinion, MSE is a better program because you have better control over the program and can scan a suspect file by right clicking it and choosing scan with MSE.

Please make sure you do not have other scan tools activated that may interfere with MSE's staying active.

In other words, in the case of trying to clean a machine of an infection, we use various tools to remove the infection.

Once we are successful, we are left with various tools still installed on the computer which can also cause conflicts with other tools or scanners.

When this happens, our computers defense is weakened not by a virus, but by programs competing with each other trying to keep your computer safe.

You may want to start off my un-installing all security programs you have installed, then start off using MSE.

Any other programs you install from that point on should only be programs that scan on-demand, but not in real time.

MBAM is fine to have installed as the trial version, which does not monitor your computer 24/7. The trial is an on-demand program, which scans only when you start it up, update it and perform a scan of a file or your entire hard drive.

SpyBot S&D is another program, which scans on-demand.

Teatimer which is a part of SpyBot S&D monitors IE.

Please be sure that your other protection programs are not the reason MSE is experiencing issues with real time protection.

You can other programs installed, but is best to have only one program monitoring the system in real time

The other programs should only be set up to scan your system at your request.

Those programs can be MBAM, SpyBot S&D and Super Anti-Spyware removal freeware.

Links provided here.

MS Security essentials http://www.microsoft.com/SECURITY_ESSENTIALS/

Spybot search & destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html

Norman Malware Cleaner http://www.norman.com/support/support_tools/58732/

Malwarebytes Anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Super Anti-Spyware http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE

I hope you have found this information helpful and informative.

Kind regards to all of you who have read or posted to this thread.

Any questions or concerns? please ask. :)

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 November 2010 - 02:19 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Ludus Tonalis

Ludus Tonalis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

Dear MrBruce1959

Thanks for your speedy reply, this is much appreciated.

My first port of call in investigating this problem was the MSE Support pages, and somewhere in those pages I found the recommendation to do an online scan with Windows Live One Care. Although it may be due for withdrawal in December 2010, according to this web page http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm it certainly looks like a current product, with a free online scan facility. The first time I ran it, it found a virus which it stated it had eliminated, but the problem persists. It gave no indication of what that virus might have been. On subsequent runs it repots a clean machine.

The paid for One Care, incidentally, seems to be an entirely different product from the free Windows Live One Care online scan. See http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm. I take this to mean that WLOC free online scan will continue to be available and supported as part of the consumer-oriented Windows Live suite of programs - see the paragraphs following "How is Windows Live OneCare different from Windows Live OneCare safety scanner?"

I am fully aware of the importance of not having more than one AV product installed, and up till this incident had had MSE only installed on this machine. Since then I have used a handful of online scans to try to identify the problem, without success. A new installation of Spybot S&D also did not find anything - I have since uninstalled it.

I have tried posting on MS Social Answers http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/e695407b-bae8-4ddf-821c-db599d968639/ - this post gives some more details incidentally. The only answer was simply along the lines of "ask MSE Support".

I then contacted MSE Support, with a message worded similarly to the Social Answers posting except that it had a few more details about the services not working. The reply I received was to uninstall and reinstall MSE, and despite having done this a number of times, I tried again with the same result. I wrote again to MSE Support to tell them their recommended course of action had been unsuccessful, but despite their 24-hour reply promise, I have not heard anything for a couple of days, which is why I have started to look elsewhere for help in identifying the problem.

This forum, then, is my third port of call, and I posted here as Naveen21 seems to have a very similar problem.

At present, I have uninstalled MSE and do not have any AV programme installed, as none that I have tried seem to be able to identify any problem. However, something on the machine is disabling the services for MSE (when installed) and the Security Center, and I need to find out what it is and eliminate it. The alternative is to do a fresh reinstall of Windows XP, and despite the experience of having been a computer user since 1987 (when floppies ruled!) I am really not looking forward to the lengthy process of getting the machine back to its previous good state. I am pretty good with data backups, so data loss will not be an issue - but the time and hassle involved certainly will be. I have decided to give it till Wednesday and if there seems to be no light at the end of this particular tunnel, then this installation of XP will get the chop. In fact, if I didn't need IE6 for website testing, I would be looking very hard at some Linux distros.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. Perhaps you could advise me where to go next. Before I zap XP, do you think it would be a good idea to do a Hijack This posting? Nice photo, by the way...

#9 naveen21

naveen21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

MrBruce1959 Thanks a lot for your response.

I went through the links provided by you but the main problem that I am facing right now is that I cant get the windows security center on Action center or MSE or WD to open.Whenever I try to "Turn on windows security center" i get an error message "windows security center cant be opened". What must be the reason for that and how to correct it because i cant get my MSE to open at all. Another thing i am worried about is the automatic disabling of MSE and security center in services console even after i change it to automatic and then START. I have MSE,WD(which you told gets disabled once MSE is installed),MBAM and Spybot S&D on my laptop.How do I get rid of these problems. I really dont want to format my laptop because i have already done that twice and my laptop's performance is down.

@ludus Can you get your Security center to open?

Thanks a lot.

#10 Ludus Tonalis

Ludus Tonalis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

The Security Center opens but displays the message: "The Security Center is currently unavailable because the "Security Center" service has not started or was stopped."

As noted above, the service id disabled, and if I change its status to automatic or manual, it can be started, but within a minute it reverts on its own to disabled. So the Security Cneter cvan be opened but is crippled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users