Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/malware Problem search.imgag.com / search.conduit.com

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheOneGoodman

TheOneGoodman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Hi, After having slow internet problems, I ran a scan using AVG and it reported no problems.
After a Reboot, I attempted to connect to the internet and was given a Windows Internet Explorer window With a message saying:
A program has suggested a new default search provider for Internet Explorer
With 2 Options:

1.Change to ZoneAlarm Security (Customiz...(search.conduit.com)
This is the new setting suggested by the programme

2.Keep using search the web (search.imgag.com)
This is the current setting

Do I want either of these options? I dont think I do, but there the only ones available. I dare not click anything in case Its Pandora's box. Can Anyone advise me Please?
Windows XP Prof
Service pack 2
AVG Security (free)
Zone Alarm
I hope thats enough info, and Thanks in advance

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2010 - 01:19 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 socialguru

socialguru

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

hi there!

you have nothing to worry about. from what you've shared, it looks like you've installed CheckPoint's ZoneAlarm Free Firewall Community Toolbar. This Community Toolbar is powered by Conduit, and you're now facing install questions.

Some background: Conduit is an app network, powering apps and community toolbars for more than 260,000 publishers and their 200 million users.
More about CheckPoint and Conduit's partnership: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Conduit-Helps-Power-Browser-bw-3939265249.html?x=0&.v=1

You can opt to use either of those searches, and you can always go back and change your search prefs:
in IE: click the dropdown arrow near the mag. glass in the FAR RIGHT top corner > select "Manage Search Providers"
in FF: the same option is in the same dropdown (on the right side of the search box on the far right top corner of the screen)

good luck!

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 59,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:40 AM

Also if you want to remove it:
In FF
Open FireFox, Go to tools (at the top of the screen) and click on "Add-ons".
Scroll down and find your toolbar extention.
Click on it and click on "Uninstall".

Or
Click "Start," then click "Control Panel"
Double click on Add / Remove
Click "Conduit Toolbar," then click "Remove/Uninstall."
Click "Yes" to confirm the uninstallation.

Reboot after using either method.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users