Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting USB Flash-drive from FAT32 to NTFS

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rocksok

rocksok

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

Johnny (my 16 Gb Flashdrive) refuses to be formatted in or converted to NTFS (using XP).

It's now obviously in FAT32, in which I can't save files larger then 4 Gb. Pain in the...

So I looked for some advice and tried two given on the NTFS website:

1. "Choose Policies tab and select the "Optimize for performance" option."
After I did this I was now able to choose to format to NTFS (which at first wasn't even an option)
But when I try now, it seems to do the job, up untill the end, and it seems unable to round it up as it prompts me it failed after all...

so next

2. "go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:
C:\> CONVERT F: /fs:ntfs"
This seems to be encountering the same problem, all seems to be working: determains volumes and everything, starts converting, and says then at the end: (translated from dutch) Can't notify other compounds about this volume's change

Is Johnny in some way just not in good shape for NTFS, or am I doing something wrong...?
Thanks in advance!
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:27 AM

After some research, I have found that this type of problem will occur 100% of times if and when the reported size of a storage drive is 'fake' and one attempts to format it to the reported size.

I'm not saying yours is not a 16GB, in fact this issue can be due to other circumstances.

If you let me know the specs on the device I may be able to help you further.

What brand and model is it?

Edited by micksim, 19 November 2010 - 09:32 AM.

| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 rocksok

rocksok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:41 AM

I have not a clue about the brand....... Device Management tells me: Generic Flash Disk USB Device
In the format utility it tells me the size is 15,7GB
the cmd gives me the following (not sure if I'm using the correct English terms, my OS is in Dutch)
16.470.296 kB total disk space
16.470.288 kB available

8.192 bytes per cluster
2.058.787 cluster in total on disk
2.058.786 cluster available on disk

disk space needed for conversion
Total disk space: 16486400 kB
Free space on volume: 16470288 kB
Space needed for conversion: 82717 kB

This is all I know to find for information, hope it's of good help
If you need more, tell me please where I can find the data

#4 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

• Download the program ChipGenius
  • Unzip the program to c:\chipgenius.
  • If you do not have Winrar program, you can download it here.
    7Zip might also be able to do this.
  • Insert your USB flash drive.
  • Double-click the program "ChipGenius.exe" in c:\chipgenius
  • After the program starts, it will automatically search for USB flash device or you can click on the "+" to select your targeted USB flash drive.

Report the results and we'll go from there.

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#5 rocksok

rocksok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Your link to ChipGenius doesn't work, but I googled it, and found it within seconds.
So DL'd it, ran it, and these are the results:

Device Name: +[F:]+USB-apparaat voor massaopslag(Generic Flash Disk USB Device) [USB-device for mass storage]

PnP Device ID: VID = 0000 PID = 7777
Serial Number: EC181AC1
Revision: 8.00

Device Type: Standard USB device - USB2.0 High-Speed

Chip Vendor: Alcor
Chip Part-Number: AU6983

Product Vendor: (N/A)
Product Model: U

Tools on Web: http://bbs.mydigit.cn/read.php?tid=4345

Hope it helps...

#6 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hi rocksok, it appears that you might have been a victim of counterfeit.

Chip Vendor: Alcor
Chip Part-Number: AU6983

There are ways to get around this and at least make the memory stick usable.
Just know that in the end it won't be a 16GB.
This has happened to me before and it worked out to be a 4GB drive.

Of course, proceed at your own risk:

Have a look at this topic and become more familiar with the subject and procedures.HERE

HERE you'll find the website that has all the tools to fix these types of problems.

And HERE is the tool I believe you will need! It is the AlcorMP(080424)_AlcorMP_AU698X

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Regards

#7 rocksok

rocksok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

thanks micksim

with the recovered data I went online, and found the software also
bummer to be losing storage space, but at least I might get it working properly

So how do I get that utility installed???
Seems lik I should instal LoadDriver.exe for the right device (VID = 0000 PID = 7777) but it doesnt instal anything....

hope you know what I'm doing wrong... thanks!!!

Edited by rocksok, 19 November 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#8 rocksok

rocksok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

You know what, guys...

I found tons or reports now online from people having encounterd the same issue as I have.
I double checked, and turns out that I can store 16 GB on the flash drive without problems, as long as the files themselves are no larger than 4GB, since it´s formatted to FAT32 and only if I want to convert to NTFS it loses the volume.
So my conclusion is to keep things the way they were.
Thanks anyway for your help!

Frank

#9 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hi again Frank, sorry I had to go off-line for a bit.

If in this case the drive size does turn out to be genuine and the only drawback you're having at the moment is the FAT32 file system, then attempt to transfer as much as 3.99GB of data into it.

If it works, and upon transfer, you can actually still see everything you have transferred; then the problem isn't it being a fake.
If on the other hand, you have transferred a 3.99GB folder and when you try to access it, it turns out to be empty, then you know that FAKE is what we're facing here.

There's no easy way to do this, and indeed there are many people out-there with similar problems which turns out, the drive was genuine, it just had a fault and could not be converted to NTFS. In this case, if you're really keen in making use of the benefits NTFS has to offer, the only advice would be to send the faulty drive back to the seller and exchange for one that works.

Anyway Frank, if you try the above and the drive is fake, here's a tool that is much easier to use than the one I referred you to before.HERE
Funny enough, this is an HP utility that seems to have the power to work with any brand, and has also helped me fix these fake drives for my customers and friends many times.

I also got this from a website I visited about this tool:

Linnet said
October 25, 2008 at 17:17

I bought a “16Gb Samsung” from this qiongzhuzhijia. It turned out to only have a 4Gb chip on board (SpecTek FBNL52A32K3W2) with AU6983HL controller. I couldn’t get any of the Alcor MP tools to recognise it in order to re-flash it to the correct size.

I found a reference to a HP Tool, designed for their DriveKey sticks to make them bootable, which seems to have done the business for my stick.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23839

I simply ran the HP Drive Key Boot Utility, and told it to make the stick bootable, and not only did it put a bunch of files on there (which I promptly deleted), but it changed the capacity of the device to it’s correct 4Gb (from 16Gb). I didn’t get the opportunity to specify the size, so it either works it out itself, or it always selects 4Gb, I’m afraid I don’t know.

Unlike an MP Tools flash which properly “fixed” my other stick (an 8Gb, really 2Gb stick from Lianghk2007), the HP tool does things slightly differently. If you look at the drive with the windows Disk Management tool, it’s capacity is still set to 16Gb, however, it now has a 4Gb partition (with 12Gb unused space). The 4Gb partition passes the H2TestW test no problem. I wondered whether the HP format might be a good solution for those sticks that people can’t re-flash properly.

BTW – I got full refunds from both Lianghk2007, and qiongzhuzhijia as soon as I reported them to eBay/PayPal.

And here is how to use the utility. HERE

#10 rocksok

rocksok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:59 AM

So, yeah, I succesfully tranferred 15GB of music on it, in one folder, all worked fine.
So I figured the data indicated should be genuine, and I decided to go ahead try and convert the FAT32 format to NTFS after all. So I used the HP tool you referenced me micksim, which works flawlessly...
Only it did convert it to a 4GB flash, even though I had 16GB active.
So...
Do you happen to know any way I can restore the configuration..? If not, that's fine, I had to take the chance, like you said, at own risk.
And also, I am really curious on how it's possible, to somehow change/update configuration to be able to store 4x as much data then containable...
I think thats very interesting!

#11 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:26 AM

And also, I am really curious on how it's possible, to somehow change/update configuration to be able to store 4x as much data then containable...

Quite simply:

One thing is the ROM chip, another is the FLASH memory. A bit like one thing is the label the other is the box.
So you can have a 4GB box and the ROM label is telling the system it is a 16GB of FLASH.

Anyhow, great news your drive is a good one!

The HP tool has, rather unfortunately, this 4GB limitation which is great when we're dealing with fakes, but totally useless when we're not.

Just one thing before we go about resolving the size of the drive:
Once you had transferred 15GB of data onto it, did you try accessing the data, and were you able to read the whole 15GB of data.

The reason why I ask this, is that on a fake, the data will transfer, though when you disconnect and reconnect the drive again, it simply won't be there! Have you tried this?

#12 rocksok

rocksok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:29 AM

I have tried that, and it worked just fine...

#13 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:55 AM

I have tried that, and it worked just fine...

OK then, so it's definitely a good one :thumbsup:

Time to bring in the big guns!

What platform are you on? Is this Windows 7?

#14 rocksok

rocksok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:56 AM

I'm using XP
fire at will...

#15 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:51 AM

Ok so we start with Windows XP Disk Management.

Right-click My Computer and select Manage. You want to the select Disk Management an see if right-clicking your flash drive gives you any options towards resolving its size.

If no joy then THIS is the one :wink:

Let me know how it went.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users