Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2 question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:17 PM

Hi;

Have found a tip to make Windows 7 a bit faster in here. I did just that but was too late to know that I did not know what or how can I go back if something happened. I am not techie and I would like to ask here in the forums for guidelines on the implications of applying it long term. Or if there are or will be some adverse effects to the system I am using.

And oh, this is what I did:
>Click Start.
>In the Search field, type CMD.
>Right-click the Command Prompt icon and click the Run as Administrator option.
>Type the following command: fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2
>Reboot the system.
>To check if the command was carried out successfully, go to the Command Prompt again and type: fsutil behavior query memoryusage

Would really appreciate some explanations here. As of the moment I am having "Windows Explorer has stopped working" error and I have still not established this as a result of what I did so the reason for me asking.

I will post another thread about the error with the error data.

Thanks you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

I don't know if this is what you read: http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/08/increase-the-filesystem-memory-cache-size-in-windows-7/
I have it set to 2 in my system, but I changed it manually in the Registry. Personally, I don't really know if it made any difference. I only did it to try to get better performance from my SSD. I did this over two months ago and I've had no hardware failures if that's what your asking.

#3 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, that what I am looking for. Your link has the default settings.

But if I may for the rest of my questions...need to really understand the results/implications/benefits for adjusting the fsutil..

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

That is something that I can't really answer. After the change I had two crashes with the faulting module being my display driver. It was a memory access error. My RAM tested fine and after I increased my Paging file from the standard 12.5 GB to 16 GB I've had no more errors. You could download and run RAMMap to compare your RAM usage before and after the registry change.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx
I've thought about it, but never got around to doing it yet. My motto is: If a modification doesn't let the "Magic Smoke" escape from any of my hardware (CPU, RAM, Motherboard) then it must be OK.

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

I just had another thought about how you could test and see if you actually get any performance benefits from the change. There are performance benchmarks called 3DMark and are available from: http://downloads.guru3d.com/
I used them once just to see how my PC measures up to other systems. My CPU is only a Q6600 running at stock 2.4 GHz, so it didn't score anything impressive. These benchmarks are generally used by people who do over-clocking and want to see how much performance they can squeeze out of their system. My biggest concern is whether my games run smoothly or not. If you are doing a lot of graphics work or transfer of files, this memory mod might give you more of a noticeable performance gain than what I would see during gaming.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

I would highly recommend that you allow windows to handle memory on its own and do not change anything if you are unsure of what it does/doesn't do. If your system is running fine do not mess with it.

However, do keep updated on patches, updates, and keep your computer free of dust.

#7 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

Yes. I also believe that. The reason why I needed to know how can I revert back what I did. On my own observations it got a bit faster. Loaded programs faster. Still observing though. I posted another problem as yet I do not know if it is related or not. You also can take a look at it if you may.

Thanks.

#8 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

Windows is indeed quite capable of managing memory on its own. Keep in mind though that Windows default settings are designed into Windows so that it can be easily installed into a wide variety of mass produced computers, such a Dell, HP, and Gateway products. If there was no benefit to be gained by changing these settings on a modified or high performance rig with a high end graphics card, SSD, or over-clocked CPU, then the programmers wouldn't have made these registry items available to be adjusted, their values would be 'locked'. But use your own discretion and observations and do what gives you the best performance for your particular situation and usage. And always make a Registry backup in case you need to change these settings back to their default.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

My default setting is 0.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\cryptodan>fsutil behavior query memoryusage
memoryusage = 0

C:\Users\cryptodan>

fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2

rerun that and this time add the following:

fsutil behavior set memoryusage 0

Edited by cryptodan, 15 November 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#10 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

Is "0" the default?

So to return it to the default I'll do:

>Click Start.
>In the Search field, type CMD.
>Right-click the Command Prompt icon and click the Run as Administrator option.
>Type the following command: fsutil behavior set memoryusage 0
>Reboot the system.

Correct?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

Yes reboot it.

#12 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

Zero is not the default.

Locate the entry NtfsMemoryUsage in the right window. Three possible values can be set:

Not Set: 0
Default: 1
Increased: 2

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

My default is 0 which is what happens when you run the above command. My default is 0 which is not set.

#14 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

Saw this one from technet about it the link is HERE

#15 preferred user 1955

preferred user 1955

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Geekbemch2.0 score fistul mem @2.0 custom setting . = 3180 second test =3135
Floating Point Processor performance 3620 Memory Memory performance 2914 Stream Memory bandwidth performance 2339

Geekbemch2.0 score fistul mem @1.0 win 7 default . = 3598 2nd test = 3599
Integer Processor integer performance 3598 Floating Point Processor performance 4352 Memory Memory performance 2925 Stream Memory bandwidth performance 2346

4352/3620 respective floating point scores fistul mem behavior at 1.0 and 2.0 respectively
Results are repeatable conclusion = setting at 2.0 reduces F/P performance YMMV.
These results are consistently repeatable Syst info AMD Athlon IIx2 250 / 4 GB ram
Nvidea Gforce 6150SE integrated graphics . 7500 rpm sata III HD Win7 hp x64
Am3 MB
@Zuhl3156 your post makes perfect sense. my opinion is that this tweak at least for me was not an improvement.
No perceptible differences noted performance scores on geek bench 2.0 were better at 1.0 value

Edited by preferred user 1955, 29 February 2012 - 02:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users