Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inetpub folder in C drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JustAnotherWittyName

JustAnotherWittyName

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

While recently looking in my C drive, I found a new folder. It is titled "inetpub". I looked into it. There are 4 folders from there: History, logs, temp, and wwwroot. History has 4 further folders: CFGHISTORY_00000000001, CFGHISTORY_00000000002, and so on up to 00000000004. Inside each are two Config files and a folder labeled "schema". Schema contains two Xml files. This is the same for all. Logs is empty. Temp contains a further folder, appPools. Inside appPools is two TMP files. wwwroot contains two files. One is a PNG image labeled "welcome". Welcome is an image of "IIS7 internet information services" and "welcome" all in different languages. I was too afraid of clicking the other file, an Internet Explorer shortcut named "iisstart". I ran rkill in two different forms and ran a Malwarebytes scan. The scan picked up nothing. So, Bleeping Computer, am I infected?

Edited by JustAnotherWittyName, 11 November 2010 - 04:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Go to Programs and Features and on the left hand side you will see Turn Windows Functions on and off.

You will want to navigate to where it says Internet Information Services and uncheck it.

Then hit Okay.

After that you should be okay.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

The C:\Inetpub folder and subfolders are related to the installation of Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS). %systemdrive% is the default location for installation as described in Microsoft Article ID: 271071.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 JustAnotherWittyName

JustAnotherWittyName
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

It worked. Cryptodan, quietman, I don't even know how much I can thank you both. You two have done so much for me and many others. You and all the Bleeping Computer community helpers, advisors, and moderators deserve awards.

Edited by JustAnotherWittyName, 11 November 2010 - 05:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users