Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 410 will not boot

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#181 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:17 AM

Should I go back and change the value in Msahci back to '4'?

OK ... yes, I guess so.

If you have had enough ... and are happy to carry on, leaving BIOS configured as "RAID autodetect/ATA", that is fine with me. It is unlikely to be of any significant/noticable loss to you. Continue with all your updates (Windows or DELL, as you see fit), the installation of AVG, and fitting your DVI cable to the monitor ... as mentioned in my previous posts, and you should be just about there.

If at any time later on, you can always continue with the challenge. I have not had the trouble we are experiencing here with the systems I have put together (but I use XP, not Vista), so I don't know whether it is a Vista issue or an Intel issue causing us grief. It has been a straight-forward installation of XP in ATA-compatible mode, get the updates from Windows, and then switch BIOS back to RAID ... and all was sweet. Ah well ...

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 November 2010 - 01:18 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#182 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:56 AM

Yes, for my purposes, she seems to be running very well; I'll call her good :)

Thanks for soooo much help - what, 2.5 weeks we've been at this???

XP - LOVE IT! My fresh build Digital Audio Workstation last year - easy-peasy.
And there is a particular application - streamlining her down, and getting the latency low, etc - fun and interesting.

This machine - well... Dude, I got a Dell - no I wouldn't have bought one, it was a gift ;)

If and/or when I change the use of her again, I "may" very well write Dell for the disks - if only because it would be so interesting to see how much different the OS loads, etc...

All the MS updates are in - off to AVG, Spybot, and the like :)

Thanks again - Joe

(if I run into any other glitches, you'll be the first to know (haha)

#183 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

And, oh, the DVI cable I 'have' is DVI-D. It only has the digital pins - the analog pins are absent...

I'll try it, and see what happens...(?)

#184 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:34 AM

Whoa, didn't take me long to return!

So, the issue with having the HD in the current mode is write speed??????

I don't have the fastest internet connection, that's for sure (rural wireless broadband), but my Sony under speedtest clocks in the ballpark of 3mbps.

I started downloading AVG, and had to quit, pending over an hour predicted time - so - speedtest.

How about .22mbps download, .40 upload. Yes, the drive just clicks a few clicks per second - slower than poop.

My patience with this machine is pretty well gone.
Options include:
1. Sending to Dell for the disks, and restoring the OS as intended (with RAID array).
2. Attempting to resurect the intended RAID array from here, and run with RAID on.
3. Take it to town, and pay someone else to rectify the situation.
4. Throw it in the creek as erosion control.

So the only one of these I can really see doing would be #2, but only if it'd be relatively smooth and easy...

OOOOrrrr, maybe theres something else I've overlooked...

#185 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:55 AM

My first reaction would be to blame my service provider ... but I guess you are not using Telstra Bigpond!

Did you check the speed around the same time with the Sony? Let's make sure that there is a real problem with the DELL before getting too carried away.

I don't think that you are ever going to notice any speed difference because of the way that the HDD is configured in BIOS, so that doesn't even come into question on this matter.

You could always download the AVG installation file using the Sony of course, and a flashdrive to transfer it, before installation.

Have you checked Device Manager for any indications of a problem (yellow question marks or exclamation marks)? I am wondering whether things are configured correctly and that the correct drivers are being used for your network connection devices.

You may have to summon up some more patience from the somewhere ... ?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#186 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:19 AM

Did you check the speed around the same time with the Sony? Let's make sure that there is a real problem with the DELL before getting too carried away.

Haha - got me! yeah, in a year of service, I've never seen the speed drop - vary, but not drop.

I get a measly .59 / .40 on the Sony...

Must be bedtime - I'll see if the net is back in the morning before I make any more judgments!

How do you say goodnight in Australia?
(keep it clean;)

#187 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:25 AM

G'night in that case. Keep me posted.

Posted Image

http://www.speedtest.net/
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#188 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:04 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Goldenvoice, 28 November 2010 - 02:12 PM.

#189 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:04 AM

Posted Image

Things are good to go - into service she goes, and I'll see how she does:)

Edited by Goldenvoice, 28 November 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#190 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:33 PM

Here we are at the store!
Posted Image

#191 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

Here we are at the store!

??? Eh?

I am guessing dawn has broken on a new day in the USA and your internet service and the old DELL are working in harmony ... and all is well in your world?

Edit: OK ... I think I get it now ... the DELL is now installed in your wife's antique shop/mall and in business. Very good, pleased to know that. Thank you.

In that case, I guess that is just about a wrap for this thread.

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 November 2010 - 06:46 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#192 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

Yes, I delivered it yesterday afternoon, and hooked her up, installed the laser printer drivers, Quickbooks, etc, and she seems fine. My brain, of course, is still pondering on some of the things I've learned ;)

I think I mentioned, on the back burner is the idea (possibility for the future) of trading my wife out of it for a simpler/lesser unit, and bringing the Dell home for video editing and storage. In which case, I would find it interesting to get the disks from Dell, restore the RAID set-up, and see what happens.

But in reality, it's doing the job at hand, and if/when I have a true need for a video editing station, it would probably be more fun to do a custom build.

So yes, over and out - looks like we've done all we need to do.

Thanks again. Awesome to have a resource like this available by which to learn, hands on, about a technology that's become so much a part of our lives, and wonderful to have people like you willing to give of their time and knowledge to make it happen!

#193 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the update. I am pleased to have been able to help, and it has been a pleasure working with you.

Putting aside the frustration felt at times, I think it would be safe to say that we have both enjoyed the experience and learned along the way. On top of that you now have a working computer. All good!

Best wishes for the future, and take care.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users