Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt system files - need to replace

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 DakotaCat

DakotaCat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

Win 7 Ultimate. Had a power outage and now am having a few issues with Win 7 that I am pretty certain is being caused by corrupt system files. I have tried a repair install but it errors out on setup.exe with "dependency service failed to start". In normal mode, I get this error when I try to run many programs or open an elevated command prompt. I can access the internet and run some things in normal mode but I get the dependency error if I try to install, remove, etc. Right clicking also causes problems. I think the root cause is a snap in for the context menus. I also cannot take control of files because it won't run security program. I am certain this is not a virus or malware because I keep my system very clean and it started after the power outage. I've run the scans I can and it finds nothing. MMC crashes, services.msc crashes with dependency error. I have run SFC /scannow and it returns the message that it found files that are corrupt but it could not replace them. So, I think my assembly directory or something else must be corrupt. I've looked at the CBS log and the first two entries are defragsvc.dll and d3d9.dll.

In safe mode, most everything works and seems normal. I can install / uninstall those things that are allowed. I can right click and the visible context menus work fine. The main thing that doesn't work in safe mode is when i run gpedit.msc and choose Windows Settings I get a snap in unhandled exception and it closes with an error stating "the type initializer for 'system.runtime.reporting.remoting.messaging.message' threw an exception.' The exception type is System.TypeInitializationException. stack trace is:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message..ctor()
at system.Rntime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&msgData,Int32 type)
at Microsoft.Managementconsole.Internal.IClassLiraryServices.CreateMessagePumpProxy()
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInApplication.CreateSnapInMessagePumpProxy()
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInThread.OnThreadStart()

Any help or suggestions other than clean or custom install would be appreciated. I realize those are possibilities but I think I am really really close to solving this one if I can just find and replace the right files or disable the right entries in the registry to allow me to do the in place repair install. I am working from a new hard drive with an image of the corrupted drive so this drive has the corrupt files but this drive is a good drive.

Thanks in advance.

The Cat

Edited by DakotaCat, 08 November 2010 - 09:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

Are you able to perform a System Restore?

Are you able to schedule a chkdsk in repair mode?
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

To see if it is because of a corrupt User Profile, create a new User Profile.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account
If everything works using the new User Profile then use this method to repair the system.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

#4 DakotaCat

DakotaCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I did a chkdsk on the old drive and when I first copied the image to this drive, it fixed a few things but now comes back clean. Even though I had System Restore running on the old drive, it found no restore points so the only restore points i have are two that I was able to create after bringing this new drive up. I created a new user profile and got errors where services wouldn't start and got black screen with white cursor for that new profile or just basic icons with the "didn't start services" error. My original user comes up with all of the icons on the desktop but with limited access to things like Installer, Security, right clicks on menus, and for JPG files it says "COM surrogate has stopped working". I had that fixed but I unfixed it when I had to restore my registry from the regbackup directory.

I think if I were able to rebuild or reinstall my msc and services exe's and dll's that I'd be far down the path of working. I think gpedit is part of it but defintely some service or security dependency that is corrupted. I just am not sure how to restore those things with the interaction between system32, syswow64, assembly, driverstore, installed packages, etc. If I could get to the point where it would allow a repair install I think it would fix most all of this.

Thanks!

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

I did find this at MSDN if it will help you.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.typeinitializationexception(v=VS.80).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.runtime.remoting.messaging.aspx

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

As an afterthought, it seems to me that errors that refer to 'Proxy' and 'Remote messaging' would be related to a Network Adapter or Driver. Have you tried the 'Repair install' not using the 'Check for the latest installation updates'? I would try the 'Not recommended' setting that doesn't require an internet connection.

#7 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

I created a new user profile and got errors where services wouldn't start and got black screen with white cursor for that new profile or just basic icons with the "didn't start services" error.

I've had a similar problem before and the only account that had enough privileges to take over the system again was the built-in Administrator account.
I'm not sure how your machine is set-up as far as the built-in Admin is concerned, but there's some hope in activating it, and attempt to fix the system then, now with full control.

This is just another possibility, and if you'd like to try it then do as follows:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator (if you can).
3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes, and then press ENTER.
5. Type net user administrator <Password>, and then press ENTER.
Note: Please replace the <Password> tag with your passwords which you want to set to administrator account.
6. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
7. Log off the current user account.

Hopefully you will have enabled an account that will be able to access everything that you can't at the moment.

Let me know how it goes.

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#8 DakotaCat

DakotaCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

I get the crashes (snap in related I think) when I try to run MMC or Event Viewer. After seeing that messaging info you pasted I tried to install .NET 4 thinking it might overwrite and replace some of the corrupt files. It won't install in safe mode of course and it crashed in normal mode. So, based on micksim's post I deleted my new profile that didn't work, went into safe mode and activated the Administrator login (went in to safe mode because I cannot get elevated CMD in normal mode without getting service dependency error), booted to normal mode, logged in and at least that profile loaded but I got the System Event Services didn't load warning. I tried to run Event Viewer which promptly crashed MMC. I decided to try installing .NET 4 again. It started to install but finally failed saying the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. Again, something with Installer or a service that supports Installer I think.

I forgot to mention that I've always been able to boot up in safe mode and get my proper desktop icons and file access. However, in normal mode with my regular login (but assigned as Administrator privileges) it sometimes works and it sometimes fails to load services. This indicates to me that it isn't the profile or standard drivers that is the problem but something that gets loaded in normal mode only, probably a service or an extension. The only thing that seems to really crash in Safe Mode is gpedit.msc which I reference in my original post.

As far as repair install without updating files, I don't get to a point where it asks that. It usually errors out at the "service dependency" error.

This is close, so close...and continued thanks for those who have responded.

Edited by DakotaCat, 08 November 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#9 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

This is close, so close...

...and we'll get closer the more we try, it's always the way!
So, let's carry on with the same process of elimination.

Can you RUN msconfig? Sounds like a silly question but I need more info.

#10 DakotaCat

DakotaCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

msconfig - everything disabled except Microsoft service, no startup items, been that way a couple of days. but, msconfig will run.

seems to crash anytime I do things related to gpedit, event viewer, installer, system restore. I just got an error when trying to configure system restore..."unexpected error in the property page, the volume shadow copy service used by system restore is not working. for more info view the event log. 0x81000202"

Edited by DakotaCat, 08 November 2010 - 04:13 PM.

#11 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

Well that's better news than I expected. We'll get back to that in the near future.

Now, can you RUN services.msc?

#12 DakotaCat

DakotaCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

I logged in normal mode under Administrator, services.msc runs fine, the Services listing comes right up. Here are some examples of what it shows, let me know of any specifics that would help. The following are disabled:
Appl Experience, Application Identity, ALG, App Mgmt, Base Filtering, Bitlocker, Block Level Backup, Bluetooth, Certif Prop, CNG, COM+ Sys Appl,

The following were disabled but I was able to start in this order (many wouldn't start first time until other things were started first):
COM+Event Sys, BITS (after I started COM+ Events), Security Accts Manager, Appl Info, Credential Manager, Crypto Services, Desktop Windows Manager Sess Mgr, Diagnost Policy Serv, Disk Defrag, MS Shadow Copy Provider, Performance Logs, Print Spooler, Shell Hardware Detection, Software Protection, System Event Notification, Volume Shadow Copy, Windows Error Reporting, Windows Event Log, Windows Event Collector, Win Font Cache, Win Installer, Win Mgmt Instrumentation, Task Scheduler (afer a lot of other things were started), Windows Search, Windows Update, Security Center, ActiveX Installer

Already running: RPCSS, RPC Endpoint Mapper,

Wont run due to "dependency service or group failed to start" error: TPM, Windows Audio, Defender, Firewall

There are other services listed, some I think are not real important.

I successfully created a System Restore Point.

Thanks!

Edited by DakotaCat, 09 November 2010 - 12:05 AM.

#13 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:49 AM

Great, this is what I was trying to get to. We need to get these services going and pretty soon the system will be stable.

Starting the 'Volume Shadow Copy' service is what has now enabled you to run System Restore, the other services which you have now been able to start are also paramount for us to start making some sense of this.

The following are disabled:
Appl Experience, Application Identity, ALG, App Mgmt, Base Filtering, Bitlocker, Block Level Backup, Bluetooth, Certif Prop, CNG, COM+ Sys Appl,

The defaults for the above services are:

Appl Experience - Automatic
Application Identity - Manual
ALG - Manual
App Mgmt - Manual
Base Filtering - Automatic
Bitlocker - Manual
Block Level Backup - Manual
Bluetooth - Manual
Certificate Propagation - Manual
CNG - Manual
Com+ Sys App - Manual

Change the above to their defaults and let me know where we stand now. What can or can't be done, and what is restricting any actions you are trying to perform.

Also, please send me a list of your startup programs. You can get this by using CCleaner Startup manager and save the list to file, you only need to copy and paste it on a post then.

#14 DakotaCat

DakotaCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:07 AM

Not sure if I stated it but this is x64 if that matters in any of this troubleshooting. Anyway, when I cam back to my PC I had a "Windows Updates Waiting to Install" message in the tray. I clicked to install, not sure if it was downloading/installing in background or not but nothing ever happened, no further notifications.

CCleaner startup has no entries enabled, 9 that I disabled a few days ago that were standard startup items like JUsched, MSSE, igfx, hkcmds, sidebar, google update, aol host manager and igfx persistence.

Meanwhile, got all of those services you listed changed to their defaults.
- Windows Firewall Service won't start. When I try I get an error message that says to check the System Event Log and refer to Service specific error code 87.
- Windows Installer service will start without errors.
- All 4 (two each x86 and x64) of the Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.x and v4.0.x services are still disabled
- Windows Defender service won't start, error is "the service started and then stopped, some services stop automatically if not in use by other services or programs". No error code or number.

After changing these services, I could not get a connection to the internet thru IE, Firefox, or Chrome.
Rebooted into normal mode as Administrator. Got error message in tray "failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service. This problem prevents standard users from logging into the system."
Ran services.exe and it opened, clicked on Event Viewer and got "MMC has stopped working" error crash.

Restarted and logged in as my original user, no errors came up other than still no internet with services set this way.

#15 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

Restarted and logged in as my original user, no errors came up other than still no internet with services set this way.

Things we need to try now:

• run a chkdsk /f /r to make sure you donít have any disk erros
  • run sfc.exe /scannow to validate your system files

Once this is done we need to run the following commands:

• netsh winsock reset catalog (reset winsock entries)
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)

Let's try fixing the firewall now. You will need to download this file and run it on the ill machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users