Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

remove previous owners information and name from files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 smilezrcool

smilezrcool

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have purchased a used computer, windows xp and would like to remove previous owners name from files and all information about owner from this computer. Thanks!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

Personally I would just format and reinstall Windows.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 smilezrcool

smilezrcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

Personally I would just format and reinstall Windows.

I would but i have added numerous programs and files to this computer. I am trying to add this computer to my home network but i think since previous owners name is on some of the files it is not allowing me to add this computer to my home network.

#4 david.k

david.k

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

Network admins tech support personnel run into this all the time and i get this question like once a week at least ...

here you go
EDIT: Removed request to conduct forum business by PM ~ Hamluis.

Thanks
David

For Windows XP
1. Begin by first clicking on the Start Button.
2. Then click on the Run Icon, which will open up the Run Menu for you.
3. Type the word Regedit into the white area and then click on the OK button.
4. Click on the plus sign [+] next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand that section.
5. Then click on the plus sign [+] next to Software to expand that section.
6. Then click on the plus sign [+] next to Microsoft to expand that section.
7. Then click on the plus sign [+] next to Windows NT to expand that section.
8. Then click on the yellow folder entitled Current Version. Do not click on its plus sign [+].
9. Now move over to the right side of the screen and scroll down until you see Registered Owner.
10. Double click directly onto the words Registered Owner until it opens up for you.
11. There will be a white entry area entitled Value data: awaiting your input.
12. Simply type your first and last name into the white area and click on the OK button.
13. If you also want to add or change the Company information, then please continue onward.
14. Double click directly onto the words Registered Organization until it opens up for you.
15. There will also be a white entry area entitled Value data: awaiting your input.
16. Simply type your Company information into the white area and click on the OK button.
17. Now close the Registry by clicking on the X box located at the top right corner of the screen.
18. You must reboot your computer for the changes to take effect for Windows XP.

EDIT: Removed data re Win 9x, OP has XP ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2010 - 06:50 AM.

#5 smilezrcool

smilezrcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the information but i have previously completed this and i have changed registed owner name. I need to delete the previous owners name under the documents/settings files. I am running windows xp. thanks!!!!!

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

here you go pm me and let me know how it goes ..
Thanks
David

Hello David

While all that is good advice and may work for some situations, we keep all advice given and further questions asked on the Board.

We also always recommend backing-up the registry before making even the simplest changes\modifications.

Thank you for understanding.

Edited by ThunderZ, 07 November 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:26 AM

I have also done all those things to change the name and while it does work for some things, things like what is in the docs and settings folder for that name do not seem to be able to be changed. The best way I have found to get around that, if it really bothers you, is to just use a new profile

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:52 AM

As stated...the only way to remove Docs & Settings folders that have another name...seems to be the creation of a new profile and deletion of the old.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#9 smilezrcool

smilezrcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:35 PM

As stated...the only way to remove Docs & Settings folders that have another name...seems to be the creation of a new profile and deletion of the old.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

When I create a new user profile according to the microsoft website and transfer all of the information to the new profile I can safely delete the old user folder and my system should work fine? Thanks!!!!!

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

Yes you are correct everything should work fine, and as you want.

#11 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

question:

would it be possible to use the command-line and apply a wildcard to search for all instances of the previous owners name, either file or folder?
after these are found, rename or delete appropriately.
excuse me if i misunderstand the OP's intentions.

#12 smilezrcool

smilezrcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

Yes you are correct everything should work fine, and as you want.

When I go to the user accounts what if I do not have advanced tab. Is there another place that I can go too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users