Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can I reinstall windows on another computer using my XP cd?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frank11111

frank11111

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

The topic says it all. I want to to a re-installation of windows on my friends computer but she doesn't have the cds. both computers are windows xp home 2002 sp3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

If the CD is a standard Windows XP installation disc of the same type so the product key is accepted (eg both XP Home, both OEM since AFAIK you can't use a full retail to re-install OEM Windows without some dramas), and not a manufacturer-specific restore CD, then yes this will work. Use the Product Key from the COA sticker attached to the system being restored. Since the system being restored has a valid license, and there's no copying of discs, there's no problem with the installation being valid, activation can proceed normally etc.

Edited by Platypus, 27 October 2010 - 12:14 AM.

Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 19,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:21 AM

Edit: You got here first Platypus. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 27 October 2010 - 12:22 AM.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#4 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Sweet, thanks for the help. Can i close this topic somehow now that i got an answer?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

Dont forget to get all necessary drivers in advance (motherboard, video, sound, printer NIC etc)
If you post the make/model of the system we can give you a link for them
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

why do i need to update drivers first? Also where would i find that information?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,919 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:13 AM

It's likely that the fresh XP installed on the system won't be able to access the internet until network drivers are installed, so the system won't be able to download its own drivers.

Before re-installing it's best to have on hand the drivers you're going to need, the installer for a respectable Antivirus package and the current offline updates (I like Avast Free) and unless the XP is already at Service Pack 3, the SP3 installer.

If the computer is a brandname, the manufacturer and model number is what we are looking for. Otherwise you can identify the components such as motherboard and video card by opening up the case and sighting their model numbers, or by running a diagnostic utility.

I like Everest (may not suit modern systems) and SIW, another is Speccy:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
http://www.gtopala.com/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html

Edited by Platypus, 28 October 2010 - 05:21 AM.

Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

If the CD is a standard Windows XP installation disc of the same type so the product key is accepted (eg both XP Home, both OEM since AFAIK you can't use a full retail to re-install OEM Windows without some dramas), and not a manufacturer-specific restore CD, then yes this will work. Use the Product Key from the COA sticker attached to the system being restored. Since the system being restored has a valid license, and there's no copying of discs, there's no problem with the installation being valid, activation can proceed normally etc.

The OEM and Retail Versions are the same, the only difference is the Product Key Used.

OEM Keys only work with OEM Products and Retail Keys only work with Retail.

You can use a Retail CD to repair an OEM Install and vice versa.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,919 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

You can use a Retail CD to repair an OEM Install and vice versa.

Cryptodan raises a good point. Frank, maybe you only need to do a repair, not a full re-install such as after replacing a faulty hard drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users