Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is "Default IME"?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

I have a program running in task manager called "Default IME". When I ask to show me the process, it highlights Wmplayer.exe

If I open a Windows Media Player file and close it, Default IME opens in my task manager. This behaviour is erratic and is hard to recreate sometimes. If I open a video and close it, it usually wont happen - but if I open a video, and move the slider to a certain location, it seems to then open the Default IME upon closure. Most of the time, anyway.

Also, every time I close WMP, a wmplayer.exe process is still left running in the background as well as this Default IME thing.

Wmplayer also keeps opening itself in my system processes, even after I end it

Is this normal?

Thanks

Edited by fgeelo, 17 October 2010 - 11:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

IME is the Input Method Editor (how Windows interprets your keystrokes on keyboard and converts them into characters when you type). This is started when you install input support for regional languages.

Default IME is the currently selected IME for a window. Default IME has no window of its own and it always points to the window it is being used in. So if you have Windows Media Player(WMP) in focus and you want to find out which window Default IME belongs to, it will show WMP. If you have Wordpad in focus, it will show Wordpad and so on.

Default IME keeps always running. It runs even in Safe Mode of Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows...-input-language

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

Can you show a picture of what you mean?

#4 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:12 AM

I open a Windows Media Player file, close it, this appears: http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4193/72309145.jpg

If I click "Show Process", it brings me to this: http://img232.imageshack.us/i/20771905.jpg/

If I end this process seen here: http://img100.imageshack.us/i/63325777.jpg/ , the activity seems to stop. WMPLAYER stops opening itself in the background, and the "Default IME" program will still open, but only for a split second after closing a regular Windows Media Player window. Why would this be?

Thanks

Edited by fgeelo, 18 October 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#5 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Update: In an interesting development... when downloading and installing files via Windows Update, I was unable to recreate the "Default IME" opening for a split second after closing Windows Media Player. After the updates had been installed, I WAS able to recreate it again. Very peculiar.

Also, this does not seem to happen if I open Windows Media Player as itself and select a song in my library. It only seems to happen if I open a direct movie. (So far the only ones I've tried are mp4 and avi)

Also, as a side note, whenever I open Windows Media Player, it tells me "Update Complete". I don't know why this is. Happens every time.

I just find it really weird that something called Default IME, which is supposedly involved in languages, would instantiate itself with Windows Media Player.

Any further help in relation to this post and the one above would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Fgeelo.

Edited by fgeelo, 19 October 2010 - 06:46 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

Your 2nd and 3rd image links don't work.
Do you run English Windows version?
If so, do you use any other language, beside English?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:25 AM

Your 2nd and 3rd image links don't work.
Do you run English Windows version?
If so, do you use any other language, beside English?

They do work, they are just very small images. Look closer, because they do blend into the page a little bit. ;)

I currently use the "English (New Zealand)" language setting on my PC. And yes, it's an English Windows version.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,619 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:27 AM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

Hi, Broni.

Thanks for your help.

Check your PM inbox if you can.

Thanks.

Edited by fgeelo, 21 October 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,619 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Unfortunately, I can see quite a few posting on Google regarding same issue, but I don't see any real solution posted.
That process is definitely connected to WMP.
Are your Windows updates current?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, all is up to date. I did lots of google searching myself, and most seem to be related to the program not responding or something rather.

I am just concerned as to the nature of it, and if it is documented anywhere that Default IME should react to Windows Media Player. Is it a keylogger? Should I be worried?

Thanks for your asisstance yet again, it means so much to me!

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,619 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

I believe, it's a legit process.
You can always start new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum to make sure, your computer is clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users