Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No post beep + no display

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nokiaman

Nokiaman

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Hello,

I have built this computer 4 years ago. Last week, when I tried to start my computer, it powered up fine, but there was no display or post beep. I opened the case and tried to find the problem. So I did the following things:

1) Removed the 2x1G Corsair 667 ram and tested it on a working dell desktop, both ram works fine. Similarly, I took the 2 ram chips from dell and tried it on my desktop, system powers up but no beep + no display.
2) Removed the GeForce GS8400 video card and put it in the dell desktop, the dell boots up and reconfigured itself to use my graphic card, so the graphic card is fine.
3) Removed the Asus P5B mobo from the case, and took out the wires from all non essential devices, leaving just the graphic card, rams, CPU, HSF on. Placed on a non conductive surface, system powers up but no beep + no display.
4) All checked all fans are functional, including my PSU, which is a 3month old 500W Coolermaster.
5) Figured that my mobo might be broken, I went out and brought a MSI G31TM-P21, pluged everything in, then system powers up but no beep + no display.

I am out of ideas. Please help.

Current Spec
E6300 C2D 1.86, unclocked
2X1GB Corsair 667 RAM
MSI G31TM-P21 mobo (new)
Coolermaster 500W (3 month old)
GeForce 8400GS (3 month old)
500GB Segate HDD (1 month old)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Out of curiosity did you use the same monitor with both motherboards?

When you say NO BEEP are you saying there is no POST beep? (meaning one system Okay beep)

Have you tried the monitor on another known working computer to confirm it is working okay?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Unless I missed it, it looks like you haven't ruled out the power supply as a culprit. I'd see if it works with a different power supply.

#4 Nokiaman

Nokiaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Out of curiosity did you use the same monitor with both motherboards?

When you say NO BEEP are you saying there is no POST beep? (meaning one system Okay beep)

Have you tried the monitor on another known working computer to confirm it is working okay?

Bruce.

Yes, both monitors should be fine because I have just plugged in a laptop and the display worked. I have even tried swapping the cables around.

Yes, there is no POST beep saying the system is okay. Basically, the system made no sound, other than the usual fan noise.

Unless I missed it, it looks like you haven't ruled out the power supply as a culprit. I'd see if it works with a different power supply.

Here is the stupid part with dell PSU, I can't even get the CPU power cable to reach the non-dell motherboard because they (purposely) made that 4 pin cable short enough to only reach the plugs on the dell motherboard. So I don't really have a PSU to try. But I see both fan on my coolermaster PSU to be functional, and it is only 3 months old. Can the PSU power up the fans and still cause issues?

#5 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

Yeah it can power up the fans and still be the cause. It almost has to be at this point. If you need a little more length for testing you could just keep the PSU outside of the case.

Edited by Joombaga, 06 October 2010 - 08:31 PM.

#6 Nokiaman

Nokiaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Yeah it can power up the fans and still be the cause. It almost has to be at this point. If you need a little more length for testing you could just keep the PSU outside of the case.

I removed the PSU from the working dell computer and tried it on my system.

Same thing, powers up, but no post beep and no display.

#7 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

Do you have the +4 cable plugged in (if it has one)? What about the CPU power connector? Everything is plugged and seated correctly?

EDIT: A few more things I didn't think of. Is the CMOS battery in? Also, try hitting the Power button on the motherboard if it has one.

Edited by Joombaga, 06 October 2010 - 08:59 PM.

#8 Nokiaman

Nokiaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

Do you have the +4 cable plugged in (if it has one)? What about the CPU power connector? Everything is plugged and seated correctly?

EDIT: A few more things I didn't think of. Is the CMOS battery in? Also, try hitting the Power button on the motherboard if it has one.

is the +4 the one that is next to the 20 pin connector? If so, yes I do have that in. Same with the CPU power connector. I have actually unplugged and replugged everything several times now, and still nothing.

The CMOS on the new motherboard should be new, but just to make sure, I'm put in a new CR2032 into the mobo. Same thing, no post beep, no display

The only thing left that hasn't been replaced is the CPU. But if that is malfunctioned, shouldn't it give me a error beep?

#9 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Not always. The last two bad CPUs I saw caused the computer to act just as you described, with no beeps. I see so few CPUs go bad that I hadn't even considered it.

And yeah, the +4 pin is the one next to the 20-pin.

#10 Nokiaman

Nokiaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Not always. The last two bad CPUs I saw caused the computer to act just as you described, with no beeps. I see so few CPUs go bad that I hadn't even considered it.

And yeah, the +4 pin is the one next to the 20-pin.

The only thing left to do is to swap CPUs with the dell, which is a E5200. But that is just WAY too much work for one day. I have already spent 2 hours cleaning the thermal off the E6300, taking it out of the Asus P5B and into the new MSI mobo (which I just found out, is still on USB 2.0, I thought I was at least getting an upgrade :/ ) I have enough fun with thermal paste for one night; is there any other way for me to tell if the CPU is the problem here without swapping CPU, meaning I don't have to clean 2 sets of thermal paste and applying it again.

#11 Joombaga

Joombaga

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

You don't have to apply the paste well for a test. Just see if it works and reapply tomorrow if the CPU ends up being the problem.

#12 Nokiaman

Nokiaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

This device is testing my patience.

I went out and brought a new E5400 CPU, put it in... same thing!!!

All of the fan runs, no post beep, no display

This is impossible. I have swapped out every single piece of equipment now, and as individual they work, but together they do not. I could understnad compatibility may be an issue for new device, but 3/4 of these device are used.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

I am going to post the MSI support web site main link here. http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=service

Here is your G31TM-P21 motherboard support page.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=download...mp;prod_no=1833

I will be back with some suggestions after I read through a few things in your motherboard owners manual, which is also available at the second link I just posted above.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 October 2010 - 07:58 PM.

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

A few things I would recommend you check out on the motherboard.

Make sure you have all the wires running to the motherboard plugged in correctly, since I know you put this system together, it often happens that a plug is either plugged in incorrectly or reversed, this includes those plugs that go to the computer case.

I am looking through a copy of your motherboard manual for the settings for the BIOS setup menus.

Can you by any chance access the BIOS setup utility by hitting the delete key during bootup?

Or is your video not even displaying anything at this point either?

Bruce.

#15 Nokiaman

Nokiaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

A few things I would recommend you check out on the motherboard.

Make sure you have all the wires running to the motherboard plugged in correctly, since I know you put this system together, it often happens that a plug is either plugged in incorrectly or reversed, this includes those plugs that go to the computer case.

I am looking through a copy of your motherboard manual for the settings for the BIOS setup menus.

Can you by any chance access the BIOS setup utility by hitting the delete key during bootup?

Or is your video not even displaying anything at this point either?

Bruce.

Hello MrBruce,

I don't think the plugs are in incorrectly because I have unplugged and replugged the rid several times now. I had to move the computer around the house a few times because my other desktop is in another room.

Unfortunately the video is not displaying anything so I can't even see BIOS. I tried the graphics card on the dell desktop and it worked, so its not the video card. One additional information is that when I swapped the graphics card and CPU around after turning the computer on, they were not even hot afterwards.

Edited by Nokiaman, 08 October 2010 - 11:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users