Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:51 PM
I have built this computer 4 years ago. Last week, when I tried to start my computer, it powered up fine, but there was no display or post beep. I opened the case and tried to find the problem. So I did the following things:
1) Removed the 2x1G Corsair 667 ram and tested it on a working dell desktop, both ram works fine. Similarly, I took the 2 ram chips from dell and tried it on my desktop, system powers up but no beep + no display.
2) Removed the GeForce GS8400 video card and put it in the dell desktop, the dell boots up and reconfigured itself to use my graphic card, so the graphic card is fine.
3) Removed the Asus P5B mobo from the case, and took out the wires from all non essential devices, leaving just the graphic card, rams, CPU, HSF on. Placed on a non conductive surface, system powers up but no beep + no display.
4) All checked all fans are functional, including my PSU, which is a 3month old 500W Coolermaster.
5) Figured that my mobo might be broken, I went out and brought a MSI G31TM-P21, pluged everything in, then system powers up but no beep + no display.
I am out of ideas. Please help.
E6300 C2D 1.86, unclocked
2X1GB Corsair 667 RAM
MSI G31TM-P21 mobo (new)
Coolermaster 500W (3 month old)
GeForce 8400GS (3 month old)
500GB Segate HDD (1 month old)