Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Hard Drive runs all the time

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:51 AM

I am running Vista Ultimate with 2 gigs of RAM and an Athlon 64 processor. It is working well except for one problem. My hard drive runs constantly. I have read that this is normal and that Vista is using a search system to organize files. I turned it off in services. I've also turned off Windows Defender (I can run defrag when I want!)

I don't know if this happened as a result of a Windows Update but I am not happy that the drive runs all the time. I ran Malawarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, and a AVG scan. Nothing was found

Does anyone have any idea what else I might try to see if I can get the hard drive to rest. I know when there is activity that it will run but in the past it always settled down and stopped running.

I see others have had this problem. Thanks for any and all ideas.

Steve Bell

Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2010 - 07:38 AM.
Moved from Vista forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:52 AM

I forgot to mention that I ran a scan disk of my primary drive. It found no errors either!!

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

Have you tried turning off, service named Superfetch and Windows Search?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

How much RAM is in use, can you take a screenshot of your Performance Tab under Task Manager? A constantly active hard drive means you are out of RAM.

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

I had Windows Search disabeled in Services. I went ahead and turned off Superfetch. I am including a attachment with the performance from task manager. It has some spikes but doesn't look like RAM is the problem.

Thanks for your help. I'm just afraid that the life of the hard drive will decrease if it is constantly running.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Attached Files

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

Why is your CPU 50% Active can you post a screenshot of all the processes?

You have less then 1Gig of RAM available for any other applications you open. When you say the drive is constantly active do you mean the HDD Activity LED on the front of the computer is constantly lit up?

#7 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Attached File  Processes_1.JPG   56.13KB   5 downloadsAttached File  Processes_2.JPG   56.7KB   5 downloadsAttached File  Processes_3.JPG   58.18KB   5 downloadsAttached File  Processes_4.JPG   27.45KB   4 downloads

I hope you are able to get these images. I did run a memory test and it shows no errors.

I must say it is not running hardly at all. I meant to say that the hard drive led was blinking all the time. It did not stay on solid.

I think I may have done some good as the led is barely blinking at all now.

I hope after looking at the processes you can point me to a more complete solution.

Thanks again for all of your help.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

I see you are running AVG it could be that AVG is doing a quick scan that could explain the constant blinking.

#9 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

Do you not recommend AVG. I think Norton is just too big a resource hog. McAfee isn't bad. I tried using Microsoft Security Essentials but it just won't run on this system. It kept locking my system up.

Would certainly appreciate your suggestions.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

I would try out Microsoft Security Essentials it is very light weight and very easy to use.

#11 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

I tried 5 times to install on my system. It won't install. It freezes after the install. Sometimes in the middle of the quick scan. I can't figure out why. I totally uninstalled AVG 9.0 and tried and tried to get Microsoft Security Essentials to install and it won't.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate your effort.

#12 usajack

usajack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:48 PM

I would also recommend Eset Nod32 (www.eset.com). The very best anti-virus software I've ever used (I've been in the technical industry for over 20 years).

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:08 AM

I tried 5 times to install on my system. It won't install. It freezes after the install. Sometimes in the middle of the quick scan. I can't figure out why. I totally uninstalled AVG 9.0 and tried and tried to get Microsoft Security Essentials to install and it won't.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate your effort.

Ive done some thinking, and I would recommend that you do the following:

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users