Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trojan. win32.Generic. pak!cobra.engine .... removal help please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 saltypossum

saltypossum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

hello,
I have the trojan called; Trojan.win32.Generic.pak!cobra.Engine on my computer. I am using Windows XP on a small Asus EEEPC. I have run an up to date Adaware spyware removal program and come up with this trojan. The adaware removed the trojan, but when I ran the next full scan it came up again with the trojan. The first time this happened the trojan came up in 3 sites. Since the first removal, adaware keeps coming up with the trojan in only one place now, which is in C:\system volume information\restore{70f .....................etc.exe I turned off system restore, and removed all the system restore points. I then ran adaware full scan again, and the trojan was not detected. I turned on the system restore again, and ran adaware full scan, and it has come up with the trojan again.

I do not know where this trojan came from. I have recently downloaded the program, Calibre,7.017, ( about 3 weeks ago) to manage the ebook library on my computer and new ereader, and I updated it to 7.018 directly from the Calibre site just the other day. I have also had my new Kogan ereader plugged in and downloaded a backup copy of the 1700 books on the reader to my computer .I have also been on the internet looking for sites to download ebooks from. Some were a bit dodgy and this is probably where I became infected.

I would like help if anyone has a good suggestion, please, on how to remove this permanently. I would also like to know how and where this trojan came from, and what it does.

Thanks

Saltypossum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saltypossum

saltypossum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:38 AM

The silence is deafening. Is anyone able to help at all, please? It's driving me nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users