Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Requirements for Thin Clients...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 turitopa

turitopa

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hi Everyone!

Ok I have been tasked to setup thin clients in our corporate environment.

I currently have Win 2008 Standard.
This is running from within Xenserver 5.5.
We have a 3rd party accounting package running on win2000 server, clients telnet in.
exchange 2007.

So my understanding (please correct me where i am incorrect) is that I will need a terminal server. is it possible to use win2000 terminal server)i have a purchased copy already
Or should i use a Citrix option?? considering I already have Xenserver 5.5
Or should i purchase terminal server for 2008???

All current workstations are XP pro SP3.

I basically want to start replacing old workstations(when they die) with thin clients.
I'd apprcieate any tips, recommendations or even further reading to further my understanding before I embark on this task.

thanks in advance,
turi

Edited by turitopa, 16 September 2010 - 07:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:19 PM

Server 2008 has terminal services built-in. You only have to change the mode to application mode and purchase the terminal server licenses in order to connect the thin clients. As a side note be sure the thin clients can connect using RDP which is the protocol used by terminal services.
I;m not familiar xenserver
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

Whatever way you decide to publish your apps you will have to purchase some sort of licensing so that will depend on your budget. Since you stated that the application that you are using currently works with server 2000 using that as a terminal server may be an option. You would then just have to purchase licensing for it. Although that option may reduce performance as server 2000 is no longer supported, and may not have the juice. What OS are you running xenserver on , and is it the free version? Just my two cents.

#4 turitopa

turitopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

Server 2008 has terminal services built-in. You only have to change the mode to application mode and purchase the terminal server licenses in order to connect the thin clients. As a side note be sure the thin clients can connect using RDP which is the protocol used by terminal services.
I;m not familiar xenserver

Sorry mate in my opening post I said I had Server 2008 that is wrong, I have SBS 2008 Standard. AFAIK i cannot run Terminal services from SBS DC (is this statement correct?)
Would you suggest purchase 2008 Server for terminal services? OR should I use Win 2000 server ( I may have win 2000 server that I discontinued, I could bring that back into operation for terminal services).

Is terminal services on 2008 much better then 2000 version?

My LAN is protected by Endian Firewall no open ports to the internet. So I am not too worried about security...

#5 turitopa

turitopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

Whatever way you decide to publish your apps you will have to purchase some sort of licensing so that will depend on your budget. Since you stated that the application that you are using currently works with server 2000 using that as a terminal server may be an option. You would then just have to purchase licensing for it. Although that option may reduce performance as server 2000 is no longer supported, and may not have the juice. What OS are you running xenserver on , and is it the free version? Just my two cents.

Ice,

I am running the Free Xenserver 5.5. It has a linux build. I DL'd the ISO.
(i am pretty much a noob with Linux, IPCOP and now Endian were my first dabbles on Linux - lets say its an on-going work in progress, forums and google are your friend).

I removed SBS 2008 stardard from my Dell Poweredge 2950 Server. Installed Xenserver, installed some extra RAM and its good as gold!
I might get some more HDD's so I can build more virtual servers.

I have SBS Stardard 2008 and Endian FW both running within Xenserver.

I actually have our 2000 Apps server running on Virtual PC (i virtualised it when the Hardward failed on the old Compaq.)
I still need to move this into the Xenserver but have not got round to it yet.

Edited by turitopa, 26 September 2010 - 07:52 PM.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

I would get away from using 2000 for anything since support will be/is discontinued. Newly found weaknesses will affect 2000 computers as well but you will not be able to get the patches to fix it. As far as what to go with any of the more mainstream apps will work in addition to using windows. I would make the terminal server its own independent server since serving applications can be very intensive. Server 2008 R2 would work fine just choose the edition based on the number of users and the hardware required to support them. Citrix will work also , I'm not real familiar with it however. Bottom line is cost will more than likely be the driving force behind which one you choose so do your reasearch carefully into licensing options and costs with a look into future expansion needs.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users