Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defragmenter not running on schedule

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rewster

Rewster

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Well, I have tried multiple times to have Disk Defragmenter to run on a schedule, but it never seems to run. It will only run if I start it manually.

The last run was a manual one that I ran that day. the scheduled runs have never worked for this. (It did use to say a date in 2008 for the enxt scan I believe, until I tried to reset the schedule again. It has never worked.) The day the picture was saved is 9/7/10(today).

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,190 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hello and welcome to Bllepingcomputer.

I do not know what all the settings are in your scheduled defrag, but keep in mind of two things.

1. Disk defragger will not run if the system is in use, I know there is an option that prevents it from running if the system is in use.
2. The computer has to be on and running at the scheduled time you have set for defragger to run.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

Those are all of the possible settings for the defragmenter. There is no option for it to run while the computer is in use. The only options I can choose from are: Time and day to run, and the volumes to use it on. Also, if you look at the picture, is says that there will be no next scheduled run, no matter how many times I try to change the schedule.

I also had it to run at 1 am every day before, still did not work. (No-one uses the computer past 10pm - 11pm)

Edited by Rewster, 08 September 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#4 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Those are all of the possible settings for the defragmenter. There is no option for it to run while the computer is in use. The only options I can choose from are: Time and day to run, and the volumes to use it on. Also, if you look at the picture, is says that there will be no next scheduled run, no matter how many times I try to change the schedule.

I also had it to run at 1 am every day before, still did not work. (No-one uses the computer past 10pm - 11pm)

I have never found MS's defrag to be particularly user friendly or good, so I use either JK Defrag or Defraggler.

FWIW I use Vista Business.

Edited by SubMariner, 09 September 2010 - 09:45 PM.

=SubMariner=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users