Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia PSI Install Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ckirk

ckirk

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

I love this software and have it on 4 out of 5 platforms; however, when trying to apply to 5th platform it is giving me a "Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program." I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with same prob.

Any suggestions?

cm

Error signature:

EventType : BEX P1 : psi.exe P2 : 1.5.0.2 P3 : 4c46cfea
P4 : unknown P5 : 0.0.0.0 P6 : 00000000 P7 : 00247480
P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008

Contents:

C:\DOCUME~1\CARYL-~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9f7a.dir00\psi.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\CARYL-~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9f7a.dir00\appcompat.txt

Description:

Faulting application psi.exe, version 1.5.0.2, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00247480.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Edited by ckirk, 06 September 2010 - 07:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

Which version of Windows?

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

Adding Software Exceptions In Data Execution Prevention (DEP): http://www.updatexp.com/dep-exceptions.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 SecSupport

SecSupport

Authorized Secunia PSI Representative

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:27 AM

Hi,

First off, I should probably warn you all that I represent Secunia, and might be a little biased.

Are you running on XP Service Pack 3? If so, you are most likely affected by an ongoing issue with DEP and the PSI on XP SP3.
We have preparped some runflags for users experiencing this problem. Please try to follow the below instructions, and let me know if they helped!

1) Start you command prompt.
You can achive this by clicking Start > Run and entering "cmd" for XP, or by typing "cmd" directly in the search bar for Vista & Win7.
2) Navigate to the Secunia installation directory
Run this command in the command line window, preserving quotes, and correcting the quoted path if you have installed the PSI to a non-default location.
cd "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI"
3) Try any of these two commands to see if that option resolves the problem
psi.exe --dep-allow-atl-emu (Or, if this option doesn't work)
psi.exe --no-force-dep
4) If any of these options have fixed your problem, running the command again with the added option "-S" will store the option permenantly. Fx:
psi.exe --dep-allow-atl-emu -S

Has this resolved the issue?

Kind Regards,
Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Community Support.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

I'm really grateful for your post, because I had several user on different forums reporting problems with running Secunia on XP.
I'll be more, than happy to post back here, when I'll encounter another case and I'll try your solution :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 ckirk

ckirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Will be back tomorrow...LIFE gets in the way of COMPUTERS....so to speak!

#7 SecSupport

SecSupport

Authorized Secunia PSI Representative

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

Hi Broni,

If possible, could I ask you to direct users to our Community Forum, located at http://secunia.com/community/forum/ ?
Apart from me and my colleques, we have several forum regulars who take good care of new users who might be having problems.
Furthermore, we archive old threads sorted by which programs they concern, and these threads often contain the solution to
known problems.

Kind Regards,
Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Community Support

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,403 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

I'll be happy to do so :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users