Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wmp54gv4.exe ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Knoxie

Knoxie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:17 PM

I should have written the whole thing down but I didn't think of it before I found this site. I know it has to do with my Linksys wireless connection (i think).

It doesn't seem to cause any major problems, but I hate error messages of al kinds and I would love to fix whatever is wrong.

Let me know what I should do.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

Could you give the exact error message?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:26 AM

Please check your Event Viewer for error messages. Go to Start, then to Control Panel, then to Administrative Tools, then to Event Viewer. (Alternatively, go to Start, then to Run, type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter)

In the left hand pane will be 3 categories (Application, Security, and System), highlight each one by clicking on it and then check the right hand pane for the error messages - then repeat for each of the other categories.

The exact text of the error message is important. If there's many, look for the one's closest to the time your machine shut itself down.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#4 Knoxie

Knoxie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:18 PM

Ok I've got it now.

The exact message I get is:

0x02a31611 referenced memory at 0x02a31611 could not be "read"

click OK to terminate
click Cancel to Debug

Couldn't find it in the event viewer, so I just copied it down after shutting the pc down a couple of times.

thanks for the help

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:46 PM

What makes you think it is related to you Linksys wireless connection?

Did this start after setting up a Linksys wireless network?

Does the computer have a wireless card or is it attached by cable to the wireless router?

If the computer has a wireless card, then check with Linksys to see if there is an updated driver. If the computer is attached to the router by cable, then it is probably a different problem, since the router usually doesn't install anything on the "host" computer.

#6 greogory

greogory

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:06 AM

What makes you think it is related to you Linksys wireless connection?

Did this start after setting up a Linksys wireless network?

I'm having the exact same problem as the original author with my LinkSys PCI wireless 802.11g adapter, WMP54G. The error is: "WMP54Gv4.exe - Application Error" "The instruction at "some-hex-address"" referenced memory at "the-same-hex-address". The memory could not be read."

My PC is connected to the wireless router by the LinkSys wmp54g connection. However, I have tried a cat6 connection directly into one of the 10/100 ports. The error does not occur when I use the direct connection and disable the wireless connection, but that's not a practical permanent solution due to the location I need to keep my router to server the rest of the house.

The problem started after I installed the LinkSys driver on my XP Pro SP2 system and set up the Wireless network using the LinkSys Wireless Connection Monitor v4.3. The wireless network works fine, I don't get any blue screens and my connectivity is solid but the error occurs every time I log off or shut down and requires manual intervention.

If the computer has a wireless card, then check with Linksys to see if there is an updated driver. If the computer is attached to the router by cable, then it is probably a different problem, since the router usually doesn't install anything on the "host" computer.

I've updated the firmware as well as the driver with the latest available at the LinkSys site as of 11/18/2005. LinkSys "LiveChat" support was no help and they suggested that XP Pro SP2 as the problem-- even though I have no problems with any other hardware or software except for the LinkSys wmp54g driver.

Any other ideas?
Greogory

#7 SSteve

SSteve

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:03 PM

I'm getting the same error message under Windows 2000. ("Access violation at address 0040756D in module 'WMP54Gv4.exe'. Read of address 00000368." with "Linksys Wireless Network Monitor" in the title bar.) Hopefully if enough people contact Linksys, they'll start to pay attention.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,779 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:34 AM

Take a look: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/DLL_Error_O...-t6465-s15.html

Louis

#9 phillip h

phillip h

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hello,

Did anyone find an answer for this error:

linksys wireless
access violation at address 0040756d in module wmp54gv4.exe

thank you,

#10 SSteve

SSteve

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:00 PM

Nope. It still crashes every time I boot up the computer. I bypass the two crash messages and wait a while and then everything works--usually. Sometimes I have to stop and restart the service. But, hey, that's the kind of user experience I expect with Windows.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:24 AM

WMP54Gv4.exe file information

The process WMP54G v4.0 Utility belongs to the software WMP54Gv by Cisco Linksys Corporation.

Description: File WMP54Gv4.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 5208576 bytes (75% of all occurrence), 5751808 bytes.
There is an icon for this program on the taskbar next to the clock. The program has a visible window. There is no description of the program. WMP54Gv4.exe is not a Windows core file. WMP54Gv4.exe is able to record inputs, monitor applications. Therefore the technical security rating is 22% dangerous.

External information from Paul Collins:

* "WMP54Gv4" must run at start up. Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI Adapter driver
http://www.file.net/process/wmp54gv4.exe.html

Is it running at startup or is it in a different location than the one specified?

#12 jim10011

jim10011

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

i had the same problem and this fixed it:
Download http://www.downloads.subratam.org/VX2Finder.exe
Click "Restore Policy"
restart computer

#13 BarbaraP17

BarbaraP17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

Application error: WMP54Gv4.exe Memory at 0x004442c5 memory could not be read. The pc that I am working on has a Linksys wireless 54g adapter. This pc is also having a connectivity problem. It is sending but not receiving very many packets. The antena does not seem to screw into the adapter card anymore. I was wondering if just replacing it would correct the problem. I am doing this for a friend. I want to know why this pc is getting this error and how I can get rid of it.

Edited by BarbaraP17, 24 October 2007 - 02:16 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:57 AM

Download the latest version of the wireless software for your PC's wireless card from Linksys.
Uninstall the old wireless software in Control Panel.
Uninstall the wireless card in Device Manager
-- Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
-- Click on the + sign next to Network Adapters
-- Right click on the wireless adapter and select "Uninstall"
Reboot and cancel out of the "Found New Hardware Wizard" when it pops up.
Double click on the downloaded file to install the new wireless card software and drivers
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#15 doomgiver13

doomgiver13

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

Application error: WMP54Gv4.exe Memory at 0x004442c5 memory could not be read. The pc that I am working on has a Linksys wireless 54g adapter. This pc is also having a connectivity problem. It is sending but not receiving very many packets. The antena does not seem to screw into the adapter card anymore. I was wondering if just replacing it would correct the problem. I am doing this for a friend. I want to know why this pc is getting this error and how I can get rid of it.

Well, if the antenna won't connect to the card anymore... that's a problem. You're not going to get much in the way of recieved packets without a reception medium. My first suggestion would be to replace the wireless adapter and antenna. That , at least, will give you a solid hardware base to work from.
If you truly live by the sword, it only stands to reason that someone has to die by it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users