Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen/Toshiba/Vista

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Neese

Neese

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

Good morning,
I've had good luck here in the past resolving pc issues with a member of your team, JSntgRvr.

This issue now is a matter of my nieces laptop she purchased new in Jan. 2009. She tells me she has not been able to use this laptop for 6 months or so, as she said it wouldn't boot up. It is out of warranty.
She tells me she started having trouble after her brother loaded Limewire, so, of course in speaking to her I just felt she had infection.
However, once she brought it to me, it turns on, but the screen is black/blank, no cursor or anything. She said this is a new issue, that when she shut it off a few months ago, it had a blue screen, and she hadn't taken it out of the closet/turned it on until yesterday, when it has no screen image at all.
I can get console lights, I can turn it on, I have blown out the fan but not taken it apart to do so, and the fan does run.
I get nothing, of course, when I try to boot her recovery discs, since I can't see anything on screen.

She did speak to Toshiba. They told her to do a recovery, but, without screen image I'm baffled.....

I did try to do a little research on the 'net, and some folks report that it is a BIOS issue, but....I am here to get better advice!

The system is a Toshiba Satellite model, A305-S6905. WinVista.

Thanks for any input,
Neese

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

See, if you can get any display, using this method....

If you have Vista DVD...

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html

If you don't have Vista DVD...

1. Create Vista Recovery Disc.

Option 1:
http://www.c4consulting.com.au/soluctions/...0SOLUCTIONS.htm

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning...+to+a+CD+or+DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Try System Restore, first.
If that doesn't work, try Startup Repair.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Neese

Neese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

Nothing happened.

I put in the vista boot cd from NeoSmart for x64, started it up, and nothing. I heard it cycle, then -- nothing.

I do not know the boot order, of course, and don't even know if that is relevant with a "boot disc", but..........I still only have a black screen. Nothing so much as flickered.

Please help!

Thanks!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,621 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

I just re-read your original post...

However, once she brought it to me, it turns on, but the screen is black/blank, no cursor or anything.

If it doesn't even get initial boot display, I don't think we're dealing here with Windows issue.

Try to hook up an external monitor and see, if you get any display.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Neese

Neese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

I'll try that, and post back. Thanks.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,621 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Cool :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Neese

Neese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

The external monitor did nothing.
It still has a black screen. Nothing happens at all with the screen, no flicker, no cursor, nothing. Absolute pitch black.

I did remove the HDD cover last night, powered up, and really didn't feel anything in the hdd, I believe what I felt was a few cyclings of the cd drive, nothing with the hdd. Could this be out perhaps?
Maybe a virus did it? She said her stepbrother installed Limewire, and after that she started having issues. Though, she said when she put it away a few months ago, it had blue screen, and when we turned it on this week - the nothingness!

Thanks.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,621 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

I suspect, either video chip, or a motherboard itself is dead.
If it was a hard drive, you still should have initial couple of screens visible, like Toshiba logo.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Neese

Neese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

Last night I tried booting up to the Toshiba recovery by pressing 0 as it booted, I did get the Toshiba logo, but then nothing else. I shut down, and tried to restart in the same manner, and got nothing again.

So -- what does that sound like?

Of course if it's the HDD that can be replaced. I'm not sure of the video chip, can you advise, please?

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,621 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

Let's eliminate hard drive factor....

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=Serv...ties#diagnostic

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 Neese

Neese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

Still trying to figure out what to do here, haven't abandoned the post as yet, just had been a bit busy.

I can't download the harddrive identifier software, since I don't have any screen images available.

I continue to read thru this again, to see if I understand what to do here to identify whether it is a hdd problem or not.

Plugging along....
Denise

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,621 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

since I don't have any screen images available

I did get the Toshiba logo

Should be enough to run HDD test.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users