Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Windows 95

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 goose90proof

goose90proof

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

Hey again!

I'm trying to install Windows 95 on the VMware Virtual Player and I'm not having much success.

I have tried creating a new virtual machine and selecting a Windows 95 iso that I have and it won't install!

The installation won't even initiate. The vm boots in prep for installation but it won't read the iso. It's like it's not even there! Virtual player did alert me that it couldn't determine the OS that the iso contained but I tried to give it a whirl anywho.

Is there something else that I need?

If someone with experience with vmware could direct me, I'd appreciate it very muchly so.
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

I'm trying to install Windows 95 on the VMware Virtual Player and I'm not having much success.

Well I've never used VMware Virtual Player but have you read the info? :thumbsup:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMwarePlayerManual10.pdf

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

I have used VM ware but didnt like it very much, and yes have been there done that didnt work with vmware, But it did with virtual box. http://www.virtualbox.org/

sigcomp.png
Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice, that is what our forums are for.
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | BC Welcome Guide | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! | Hang With Us on LockerDome!

#4 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

You could use Microsoft Virtual PC...
It may say it's got compatibility issues with my system...but I have no issues...Installed XP on it.

#5 goose90proof

goose90proof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for the info and the suggestions. I'll try virtualbox
for3ver,
goose90proof

#6 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

You could use Microsoft Virtual PC...
It may say it's got compatibility issues with my system...but I have no issues...Installed XP on it.

i installed windows 98 in virtual pc, and it runs terribly.

you are using vmware player? you are aware that you have to have vmware workstation or higher to create new machines, last i checked.

do you already have a virtual disk created, and the other, setting file? if you already have the virtual disk, then it should install, even with player. player just cant make the virtual disks, but should install if you already have an empty virtual disk and settings file.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 840 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

you are using vmware player? you are aware that you have to have vmware workstation or higher to create new machines, last i checked.

That has changed now. Versions 3.0 onwards of the free VMWare Player allow you to create new machines.

#8 goose90proof

goose90proof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

I have vmware player set up with Windows 98 and it runs great. Installed vmware tools and got the drivers I needed that vmware tools didn't have. It runs great. The only thing I can't do is take snapshots.

I'd like to be able to set up a Windows 95 vm but I don't have a bootable iso.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#9 Fafhrd

Fafhrd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

There is the Windows 9x project for those interested. I won't give a link, but Google will! Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME work well in VMWare Player (give them more memory than suggested, like 128Mb, and you will barely use the swapfile) but the audio drivers can be difficult to source for the older OSs. Try Creative_AudioPCI__ES1371_ES1373___WDM_.zip from Mediafire, there is no paywall.

Briefly, create a new virtual machine and set to boot from an iso file of the bootable operating system cd. The 9x project CD sets up a ram disk as a virtual A:\ drive and has batch files 1-4 which can install each of the Win9x systems. There is documentation on the iso and in the A:\ drive and batch files.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004129 contains useful tips to make the virtual bios more easily accessible when setting up virtual machines that need to first load DOS and then the Graphical OS, like Windows 3.x, and occasionally 9x when things go pear-shaped!

This is not meant to be a tutorial, just a lightweight guide, so have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users