Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get my files back after system restore?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SeanMadd

SeanMadd

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, so correct me if I'm not in the right place. Anyway, Earlier today my computer suddenly got a load of infections and threats, because my AVG resident shield kept popping up and more and more were appearing on the list. After doing a malware scan, and an AVG scan, it told me to restart my computer. I did so and then it just kept restarting over and over and over again.. My mother then had the smart idea to do a system restore/recover(whichever, I don't know). I thought it would delete everything, but all my desktop icons from before are still there(although they're not working because it says their not there), so I'm HOPING that all my other important files and photos are still there. I went to the hard disk C and did a bit of browsing and found some photo folders, some with photos and some weren't there.

Please GOD say there is a way to get all my files and stuff back! I need them badly. Thanks anyone who helps!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Sounds like your Mom did a nondestructive system recovery/restore...which should have saved your files somewhere.

Louis

#3 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

Microsoft Windows XP, Version 2002 Manufactured by HP? I think anyway. If I'm wrong can you tell me where to find the proper info.

Edited by SeanMadd, 19 August 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Depends on what you actually did, if you did an actual windows restore (which you do from inside windows) all your files are still there. If you went into the system recovery partition and reinstalled everything, and you didn't back them up, then they are gone for good.
Posted Image
Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: ASUS ATI 4890 and a Saphire 4890 in Crossfire, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte 4550, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watt modular PSU, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.
If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,250 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

Usually...there is printing somewhere on the case that identifies/advertises the manufacturer and model.

If not, try this. From within Windows...Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter. Look in the new window to the right...what is listed as System Manufacturer and System Model?

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 19,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

If you did a System Restore with a date that is previous to any applications that were installed you will have lost them.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#7 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

Usually...there is printing somewhere on the case that identifies/advertises the manufacturer and model.

If not, try this. From within Windows...Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter. Look in the new window to the right...what is listed as System Manufacturer and System Model?

Louis

Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
Model: DY141A-ABU a510.uk

Also, would it be possible to get my internet bookmarks back too?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,250 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00426810.pdf

Appears to be the appropriate reference for your system.

Louis

#9 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thanks.. But that didn't really help me. Was I supposed to have had all my files saved on a CD or something beforehand? Because I never did that..

Does this mean that I can't get all my files back or what? I'm really struggling with this.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,250 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

You need to find out what your mother did...she is the only one who can tell you what happened.

If she used the restore/recovery feature built into that system...and did a nondestructive recovery/restoration...then she and that link should provide clues to the disposition of your files. Ditto if she did a destructive recovery.

Dell determines how that feature works on their systems, hence the link.

This feature (restoring to factory defaults) has nothing to do with the Windows System Restore function.

So you need to find out exactly what was done...to determine disposition of your files.

Louis

#11 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:21 AM

She said when the computer was starting up, she pressed F10, which according to the user's guide, is a system recovery.

There is also system restore, and application recovery(Is that what I do to get back my files?)
But under system recovery, it says: WARNING: The HP PC System recovery program will delete any data or programs that you installed after purchase. Be sure to back up any data that you want to keep onto a removable disk.

Although I don't think that's true, seeing as my apps are still there(but when I try to go into one it says unable to boot or something like that) and I can see some of my files when I go to my computer, HP_pavilion(C:)

If you could guide me through restoring my files that would be great, because I don't really understand the link you gave me..

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:04 AM

I cannot "guide you" through HP system features...I don't have any HP systems and their procedures were documented in the first link I provided you.

If you choose not to believe what they state, that's up to you.

You could always contact HP customer service about your possibilities or how it works...they should be able to give you information which you understand and believe.

Louis

#13 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:08 AM

Okay, well thanks for your help anyway.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

Easily done, good luck :thumbsup:.

Louis

#15 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

As a rank outsider with very little knowledge of computers, may I even so suggest that programs like these might produce a positive result?

I also once has success with this piece of software.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users