Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is Windows Powershell 1.0? And do I need it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:07 AM

Hello,

I normally have my Windows update set to "notify, but not to download or install" when there are new updates. Being on dial-up I prefer to install them 1 at a time. Yesterday, in a moment of sheer laziness after seeing the long list of the newest updates, I set it to download and install automatically.

As a result, I now have new hardware installed on my XP Home with SP3 laptop. I have no clue what it is used for and I doubt even if I did know that I would ever use it. I want to uninstall it, but I cannot find it in the add/remove file.

If someone could educate me I would appreciate it. A Google search only makes things more confusing.

Thank you,

Ziva

Edited by Ziva, 14 August 2010 - 03:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hi, short definition of windows powershell

"Microsoft Windows PowerShell command line shell and scripting language helps IT professionals achieve greater control and productivity"

so if you re not a IT professional[if you were you would know about Power shell all ready ] then you don't need it ,sorry i cant help you uninstall it as Im using win7-U and its part of win7-Uso no unistall .
but maybe there is a uninstall listed in start/all program and a folder with power shell name

Edited by caperjac, 14 August 2010 - 10:12 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 15,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

You should be able to uninstall this in the Add of Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Go to Start> Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs. Make sure that the box for Show Updates at the top of the page has a check mark in it. If you scroll down toward the bottom of the applications you will find your updates. Find the one you wish to remove and click on it and choose Remove.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

#4 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

I am obviously not an IT professional. I found the update and uninstalled it. Thankfully with no problem. Wonder why Windows thought I needed it in the first place? The more I use windows the more they make Mac's look like a bargain.

Thank you both for taking the time to assist,

Ziva

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

I am obviously not an IT professional. I found the update and uninstalled it. Thankfully with no problem. Wonder why Windows thought I needed it in the first place? The more I use windows the more they make Mac's look like a bargain.

Thank you both for taking the time to assist,

Ziva

your welcome ,cant imagine why it was in the updates ,can recall ever seeing it there .
mac is a great bargain ,when you make the switch let us know how it goes ,especially when you go looking for free programs to us on it .it been a few yrs since i had a mac ,but that was the problem i had ,but have to say i really liked how simple it was and how fast it worked with only a small cpu and small amount of ram .good luck

#6 Unique9FL

Unique9FL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

*face palm* 1. I do not see how this makes Mac's look like a bargain in any way. 2. You do not have "new hardware" from downloading updates. It's called software. Hardware is a physical object you could reach out and touch. 3. Why do you want to uninstall the update to begin with? There is a reason it's there. 4. You bash PC's because you can't figure it out..doesn't mean something is wrong with the PC. 9% of the computers out there use a Mac OS. If they were SOOOO great..wouldn't it be closer to 50/50? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Operating_system_usage_share.svg Think about it.

#7 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 15,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

There is no member by the name "face palm" in this topic.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

#8 Allfazeman

Allfazeman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hey guys !! I still don't see a definiotiver answer to the question. Or should I say questions.

I would like to know if this Powershell thing is needed for XP to perform and if it is safe to remover it all together and not cause any major (or Minor) problems???

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

bleeperizer

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

no you don't need it, it is not required for consumer computing.... yes it is safe for you to remove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users