Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

02FA:Main Fan Error!! Gateway

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 j.goins

j.goins

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

I have a Gateway ML6732. When i first turn on the computer the fan will kick on and run for a few seconds. Then the fan stops...computer beeps...and it sends me to the screen with the main fan error...i checked the fan to make sure it was clean...pulled a small dust ball out of it...but it's doin the same thing...any help would be appreciated. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

I would say its time for a cooling fan replacement, cooling fans are nothing to take a chance with when they start acting up, it could cost you the hardware they are there to keep cool.

Since you did not say which fan this is, lets say its your processor cooling fan, if it fails, your processor could end up being fried, the price of a processor replacement is way more than the price of a cooling fan.

Replace that fan ASAP.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 j.goins

j.goins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

how hard is it to replace the fan? I have never been into a laptop before. But there seem to be enough disasseble videos on the net that i think i could do it.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

It's simply a matter of being careful not to damage any of the zero insertion force (ZIF) connectors that the flat ribbon wires are locked into.

You should start with a clean organized location to perform the procedure, when you remove screws try to lay them out in an order that makes it easy to place them back in the same holes they came out of.

Be careful not to force any panel parts to the point their locking tabs break, I know it is sometimes tough to know without detailed disassembly instructions where all the hidden locking tabs and screws are. Sometimes there are screws hidden under the rubber feet on the laptop bottom. Those rubber feet have to be pried out to find hidden screws.

What-ever you do, do not force anything apart, once you crack or break the plastic parts they look like hell and sometimes do not fit right afterward.

I will try to find you a service manual and link you to it if I find one.

Other-wise I can link you to a few web sites related to other brand of laptops which you can use as a guide.

Here are a few links to use as a reference.

These are gateway laptops here. This might be what you're looking for. http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/5-gateway-laptops/

These are Toshiba laptops http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 August 2010 - 03:21 PM.

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 j.goins

j.goins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

No problem. :thumbsup:

If you have any other questions just ask.

Hopefully that link I gave you to the Gateway computer disassembly will be very helpful to you. :flowers:

Bruce.

#7 j.goins

j.goins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

It did. Was totally simple. Just removed the cover. Removed 5 screws, unplugged it, and the fan popped right out. Now by price searching looks like i gotta shell out around $80 for a new one. Blah

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

I know how you feel, Laptop parts are not as plentiful to get your hands on as is desktop computers parts, so of course the prices are higher for sure.

Try buying replacement parts for Sony PlayStation 3 Gaming consoles..specially the Blu-Ray drive parts..thats double BLAH! :thumbsup:

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 August 2010 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users