Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scroll and Caps Lock LED's are blinking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kody1234

kody1234

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

I went to get my HP dv4 Pavilion laptop after work tonight to check email and i opened it up and moved around the mouse to wake it up...the lights on they keyboard all came on as if it were starting but the screen stayed black. I waited a few minutes because sometimes it's been known to take a few seconds to actually kick on...but nothing happened so I forced shutdown by holding the power button. Turned it back on and the screen came on(with a "your system didn't shut down properly error screen) but it still started, but now the Caps Lock and Scroll keys had blinking lights on the side and top, blinking together about every second. I tried tapping the buttons and nothing happened. What caused this and how can i get rid of the blinking. I've read from doing a google search that shutting down, taking the battery out and unplugging from the A/C adapter and holding the power button for 15 seconds takes care of the problem...but I would like to make sure that is safe before trying as this is a fairly new laptop(just got it at Christmas time). I'm running Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

Thank you for any help you can give me....and sorry if this isn't the right forum....it seemed to be the best fit.

EDIT: would also like to add that I just noticed that my little batter icon says it is plugged in but not charging....it's sitting at 80%....this is a brand new ac adapter that I just got last week...so I hope it's not that.

Edited by kody1234, 06 August 2010 - 12:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

This statement you posted above is true: I've read from doing a google search that shutting down, taking the battery out and unplugging from the A/C adapter and holding the power button for 15 seconds takes care of the problem

Sometimes an error plants its self into the BIOS ROM and this is one method used of clearing it, to resume normal operation again.

I can not point you to the support pages for your laptop because you failed to post your full model number, Pavilion dv4 is an incomplete model number.

You can go to this link to get support information for your laptop. http://www.hp.com/#Support

If you wish, you should post back your full model number and we can offer you more support.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kody1234

kody1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

thanks...the removal of the battery and adapter cleared up the blinking and the not charging problem!

hopefully this doesn't happen again...thanks

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Your charging problem could be a result of either a faulty battery, faulty charger or faulty charging circuit located inside the laptop.

Try charging the battery, if it continues to fail at charging the battery to full, let us know.

Also if you could for future reference, please post your full model number.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users