Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotfix installer???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluekey

bluekey

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi guys, i noticed that there were a bunch of files that were placed in my C:\.

They are like 20+ folders which have long names (e.g. 13cb4f2d8713a5627df08fe2). A click into the file reveals that it is something about "HotFixInstaller" Hotiron Hotfix Installer...Microsoft corporation.

This seems okay, however i find it extremely odd that there are 20+ folders which have different name but contains the same file. Could someone advised me whether it is safe or do i have a malware in my computer.

Thanks for any assistance rendered

bluekey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thelametriangle

thelametriangle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hi I have this same problem and I was wondering if you had found a solution to it?

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:16 AM

Hi I have this same problem and I was wondering if you had found a solution to it?

There is no problem with this: There are many times that the system creates these folders when installing programs and/or updates, and it is perfectly normal to have these folders on the C:\ drive. Sometimes they are left there after their use, when they should have been removed, and so accumulate in number.

It is not malware.

If you want to learn more about these folders, I suggest that you start a new topic in the forum relating to your own Windows Operating System, such as the XP forum or the Vista forum etc.

Edit: I just checked my own C:\ drive and see that I have 6 of these folders there at the moment.

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 December 2010 - 05:20 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users