Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive isn't accessed by my computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 uk23

uk23

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

First of all , I have three flash drives and they work just fine. I have problem with this:I have Medion 8 GB USB Flash Drive. isn't working on my computer. It was working fine yesterday. The light comes on. However, flash drive It isn't showing up in the drive list.
Second, I went to My computer and looked up DISK MANAGEMENT. Flash drive isn't listed there. I checked my other three flash drives and they are listed on disk management.
Now more details: I am using Dell Windows 7 64 bit PC. Everything was ok until today. I downloaded movie(I have about 8 movies in there), and checked flash drive with Norton Antivirus, just to make sure there are no viruses. As usual I had no viruses. however, All of the sudden, flash drive stopped responding. it flashes, but I cannot open it.I hear clicking sound, like computer is trying to open it, and nothing is happening. Please help!!!!My Medion 8 GB USB Flash Drive drive
It is usually showed being drive I:
I hear clicking sound I see glowing blue light on on flash drive, like computer is trying to open it, and nothing is happening. Please help!!!! Is there any way to recover files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

You probably need to add or change the drive letter...

take a look at this link and see if it helps...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-a-drive-letter

#3 uk23

uk23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

I don't think so.
As I said earlier, I have three other flash drives, and my computer recognizes them. it is unable to open and don't even se the Medion flash drive. I hear clicking sound, like it is trying to open flash drive, and light is clicking on flash drive, but nothing is happening.

Do you think that plugging flash drive into usb port, and then rebooting computer while flash drive is in might cure the problem?

You probably need to add or change the drive letter...

take a look at this link and see if it helps...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-a-drive-letter

Edited by uk23, 28 July 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Do you think that plugging flash drive into usb port, and then rebooting computer while flash drive is in might cure the problem?

Probably not, have you tried plugging it into another computer?

I know I had a similar problem, I have 2 flash drives, 1 flash drive worked in a certain computer and the other did not in the same computer. Changed the drive letter and viola... all worked like a charm.

You might try it anyway...

#5 uk23

uk23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

on my PC I have the following : Disk 1: Removable E: No media,
Disk 2: Removable F: No media; Disk 3: Removable G:; and Disk 4: Removable H. None of them have any media. My flash drive used to be recognized by letter J:
Now, I can click on any of these Disks and change letter, what if it will mess up computer? because my other flash drive is recognized under removable disk I, perhaps PC assigns new disk letter as I. To be precise , Disk management shows Disk 5 Removable, 960 MB, that's my flash drive that is working.

Probably not, have you tried plugging it into another computer?

I know I had a similar problem, I have 2 flash drives, 1 flash drive worked in a certain computer and the other did not in the same computer. Changed the drive letter and viola... all worked like a charm.

You might try it anyway...

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

You wont mess up your computer...

rename your disk 5 to K and see what happens,

or if J is no longer being used, use that one again. Just something different from the others.

#7 uk23

uk23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Someone suggested me this---Have no flash drives in your PC, then open Disk Management and put the flash drive thats causing the problem in and does it show up? if so then right click it and change its drive letter to soemthing like x: and then unplug and re-plug back in, does it still list, if so then plug in all your other ones and see if all show. problem is when I plug flash drive and access Disk management , it doesn't show. However, other flash drives (e.g. Sony) shows right away. Disk 5 only shows when I plug the other flash drive. other than that I don't have disk 5, The last one I have is disk 4 : removable H

Edited by uk23, 28 July 2010 - 11:33 AM.

#8 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Ok, then try renaming one of your other flash drives to something that is not being used.

the reason it is not showing, is it is trying to share a drive letter that has already been assigned.

#9 uk23

uk23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

One more question : Will this solution work:
Take all the other working flash drives out, and just have only that one not listing in the PC, does it show in Disk Management or My Computer?

If no then enter Device Manager and open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch and you should see a USB Mass Storage Device, this is your USB flash drive, then what you need to do (NO data is removed from the Flash Drive) is to right click the USB Mass Storrage Device and choose Uninstall, once uninstalled, unplug the USB Flash Drive and then plug it back in and the driver should load again.

the loads up a new driver and ID for the device, so check Disk Management again, if it shows right click and add the drive letter you want if not already at the right one.

Ok, then try renaming one of your other flash drives to something that is not being used.

the reason it is not showing, is it is trying to share a drive letter that has already been assigned.

#10 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

I do not know if it will work or not, but you can try...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users