Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes updates fail

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ak47gg

ak47gg

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hi -

I'm suddenly unable to update SuperAntiSpyware or MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (the free editions of each). The last successful update of each was around the beginning of this month. Before that, I'd updated them regularly (about every two to three weeks) without any problems.

I run Windows XP (Media Centre) with SP3 and automatic updates. I connect to the internet via a Siemens Gigaset SE587 router, to which my PC is hard-wired. Other PC's in the house connect to the same box wirelessly. The router has a pre-installed firewall which I have never made any alterations to. I am currently able to surf the internet, so connectivity to the web doesn't appear to be an issue.

On my PC, I use the Windows firewall, and have always had it set up with SuperAntiSpyware as an exception. (MalwareBytes is not on my exception list, but has always updated OK). I do not use any other firewall software.

When trying to update SuperAntiSpyware, using the "Check For Updates" button produces the following message -

"There was an error trying to retrieve definitions. Make sure your firewall is not blocking SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE from accessing the internet"

With MalwareBytes, I get -

"An error occurred. Please report the error code to the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware support team, Error Code 732 (2, 0), The system cannot find the file specified"

I ran scans with both today, and removed three items found - SuperAntiSpyware found a Broken File Association (which it does every time I run it), while MalwareBytes found two registry entries associated with backdoor.bot.

The only other hint I've had in recently that things are not quite as they should be is an occasional redirect when clicking on a link brought up by a Google search, but this has been an intermittent glitch that has been around for several weeks. I haven't noticed anything else that might indicate a problem.

I did a little research on the update issue, and found several very similar threads across a number of forums. In each case, there were differences to my situation - people using third party firewalls, or running Vista, for example - so I thought it best to start a new thread here. :thumbsup:

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

The definitions can be manually downloaded for most AV products.

Edited by ectech1, 18 July 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/332747/superantispyware-and-malwarebytes-updates-fail/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users