Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partmgr.sys Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drew14385

drew14385

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:42 PM

I have a laptop with Windows XP installed on it. One day I found a fatal error with "partmgr.sys". Since then I can not get the computer to boot past the Windows XP screen. I have tried everything I can think of, including an attempt to reinstall windows, which failed. Has anyone encountered this problem before or know of a fix? Thanks

Drew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

have you tried starting in safe mode, press f8 as computer starts up.

partmgr.sys is a windows file that affects partitions so if it is corrupted your computer may not be able to read the boot partition.

When you tried to reinstall windows from cd, did it boot to cd or continue on to the windows screen. If it did not boot with the disk, then go into system bios and change boot order to have cd drive ahead of hard drive.

#3 Alan Cost

Alan Cost

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

I had this problem some time ago. I had to get a newer copy of "Partition Magic" and reset the partitions. You can find this at: http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

If your are going to reformat anyhow, this should help. Make sure you follow the correct directions, they are difference for each version of Windows.

Good luck.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users