Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I access files from a corrupted CD-RW?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Saget

Bob Saget

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

- The CD worked under Vista immediately after burning it.
- After installing Windows 7, it no longer works.
- Does not work on friends' computers who have XP and Vista.
- It recognizes that there is a CD present, but cannot read the files.
- I tried to copy the disc as an nrg file through Nero, which is the program I used to burn it.
- I mounted the nrg through an ISO program. I finally could see the list of files, but again got "DISC IS CORRUPTED AND UNREADABLE"

I have tried Power CD/DVD Recovery. I'm getting pretty desperate here, as I really need the files present on the CD-RW. What can I do here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

Have you tried cleaning the disk for finger prints?
There is a certain way to clean disks to prevent scratches from damaging the data, always wipe from the center of the disk out-ward, not in a circular motion.

Mild dish soap and water is fine to remove oils, dry the disk off with a non abrasive cloth and wipe out-wards from the hole all round the disk till it is dry.

If the disk contains noticeable scratches, there is a method of using smokers toothpaste mixed with water and carefully wiping out-wards towards the outer disk edge only where the scratch is, try not to wander from the scratch area, because you can create new damage to an unaffected area of the disk. Wash off all excess toothpaste and let the disk dry.

If you've ever made the mistake of writting on the disk with a ball point pen, you may have damaged the disk beyond repair, the printed side of the disk is closest to the data than the clear side.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 July 2010 - 10:45 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

I need someone with a lot more knowledge than me to verify this Bob, but I got an opportunity to get the "professional" version of Easeus Partition Manager for free. I had a HDD that was completely unreadable (it was my C: drive) and using the recovery feature I have been able to pull data off it. I haven't recovered it all because to be honest, I'm haven't learned how to use it, and the rest of the data I haven't recovered I haven't tried. I got accepted in the malware training program here and just haven't had the time to play with it with all the other stuff I have had to do to try to keep up with my training.

I know it sounds like a partitioning program, but the recovery feature is awesome. I don't know if it works with a CD-RW but something in the back of my mind says it does. I don't know if the free version will have that feature. These are the reasons I say I need someone a lot more competent than me to verify or debunk what I said, but you may want to look in to it.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

From my work in another forum where I was an expert in dvd burning, one of my peers always swore by this program.

http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php

My own personal experience was to rely on free programs and good slow reading drives and avoid any RW disks.

Try the demo/free version, just install and see if it will work.

Edited by DaChew, 08 July 2010 - 06:16 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Bob Saget

Bob Saget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

From my work in another forum where I was an expert in dvd burning, one of my peers always swore by this program.

http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php

My own personal experience was to rely on free programs and good slow reading drives and avoid any RW disks.

Try the demo/free version, just install and see if it will work.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users