Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to stop CHKDSK in progress

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

I have been trying to rescue data on a second hard drive in my system. It is an older computer, Win XP Pro, dual sata drives. The boot drive has been fine; my second drive has started giving me issues in the last day. Ironically, I just built a new home server, and was starting to transfer files to decommission the old machine. The drive I am trying to rescue data from is a WD 500GB drive, partitioned into 4 sections.

With the system suddenly becoming increasingly jittery, and slow, and locking up (only when accessing one of the partitions on the second drive), I decided to run a CHKDSK at startup. BIG MISTAKE.

During stage 1, I came up with 4 file record segments as unreadable.

During stage 2, it has managed to hit 11 percent complete (it took almost an hour for this), but there it sits, without moving (it has been as 11 for about 30 minutes now). Now I am concerned that CHKDSK may be re-writing (or attempting to) my data, destroying it even further...

I have been googling like crazy on my laptop; every time I find a thread somewhere, the inevitable answer is "why do you need to run CHKDSK?" That does not help. I need to find out if it is safe to stop the computer, and how to do so (pull the plug?).

I can pull the drive out, and slave it into another system if need be, but I need to get the data off safely. I cannot simply put it into the new server as the second drive - there would not be enough room on the first drive to get the data off of it.

HELP!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

I would let chkdsk run and fix any errors before you recover any data from the drive.

#3 tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

I'm concerned that it is essentially hung, and is not progressing. How long do I give it before I make that decision? If/when I decide that I need to stop the box, do I just pull the plug? What are the implications?

If I had thought first, I would have tried a disk utility first to make sure the disk is functioning properly. I realize MS recommends making a data backup before running CHKDSK. Ironically, that is what I was trying to do...

This drive has archives from my previous company on it, and I now need the data (of course!). We just shut the company down, and I had only one choice for saving the data - a quick file copy to my own second drive. Now I was going to put it onto a raid'd server, then take my time burning to DVD's...

I may just have to have a (very) sleepless night. I am worried that -even if it does complete - it may have "re-written" the data, and scrambled it even more...maybe that's not realistic, but I;m not sure.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

It depends on how many errors it fines.

#5 tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

So let me ask the "dangerous" question. What happens if I simply unplug it the box, then disconnect the second drive. Boot to windows, fix the automatic chkdsk, and the reconnect the drive and reboot. What kind of damage can I do to my disk/data? Is there a big chance of scrambling it beyond hope?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

You could potentially kill the drive altogether

#7 tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

Then I guess that is definitely last resort!

I truly appreciate your help and advice. I think I'll deal with no sleep tonight, and hope I don't need to unplug the box...

#8 tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

Well, I supose thins is good news, but in the 45 min since starting this thread, it has gone from 11 to 17 percent, although it now appears "stuck" at 17...nut the hard drive light is still coming on and off...I will letyou know how I make out.

#9 tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:28 AM

Just an update. Evidently it did not freeze...I got up about an hour ago, and it is now into stage 4...at 4%, where its been since I came into the room 45 min ago. It is showing recovered files from stage 3, so I am eager to see what kind of mess I have on my hands.

Any idea how long stage 4 or 5 take? I always understood stage 2 was the long one...

Thanks agian.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

When chkdsk /r takes an inordinate amount of time...the hard drive/file system is in trouble...the hard drive is very large..or a combination of the two.

I suggest...expect the worst.

Louis

#11 tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

Well, after it ran for quite a while longer, I had no chice in the matter. A power interruption killed the chkdsk operation - it had been stuck at the 4% mark in stage 4 after at least 2 hours...I used the time for more research. I ended up pulling the physical drive out. I scratch built a new box, with the damaged drive and a brand new one I picked up last week. (They happened to be the same model, coincidentally.) Neither has an OS on it.

I booted with SystemRescueCD, and am currently running ddrescue to copy the old data to the new drive. I am currently at the 250000 MB mark, with a single 523kB error found so far. I think there was a total of about 350 Gig of data on it. FWIW, I was able to access most of the data without issue, so I am hopeful that the data loss will me minimized. But only time will tell. (I'm hoping for the best, but planning for the worst.)

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Do you have any form of power surge protection on your computers?

#13 tiedyeguy64

tiedyeguy64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Normally, yes. In this case....lets just say the last few days have been a perfect storm of issues...
Now I am at the 283000MB mark. It has slowed a bit, but still only the single error showing. Of course, that does not mean that the data is safe - it could still be very well scrambled beyond repair. It simply means ddrescue is doing a wonderful job of copying the data...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users