Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can not connect Lenovo laptop wireless to internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimpk

jimpk

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

I have had this problem for a while. I have a linksys g router security enabled . The lap top (win xp pro sp3) sees the router but can't connect. Windows cant repair the connection but the wierd thing is , in the four months that this has been happening there was one day where it did connect automatically and stayed connected for about 4 hours. So it does work but thqt was the only time and that was a month ago. I checked to see that use proxy was unchecked and I reset sucessfully winsok but I still cannot connect. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

i would check the router settings and disable security until you have it working. when all is good add security.

#3 jimpk

jimpk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have done all those things, even with a tech person at my side- to no avail. It did work one day for aobut 5hrs and I wasn't even trying to log on to the net- it just did it automatically exactly when I don't know but at some point I noticed I was connected so I surfe for the next 5hrs , closed up for a while then tried to get back on and it has been the same old story since- can't wirelessly connect.

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

How far from the router are you when trying to connect? If you move closer (in the same room) will it connect?
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 jimpk

jimpk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for your reply, strolln, yes I''ve tried a room away and right next to it, when it did work that strange day, lap top was on main floor and router was in basement so it can service that distance. As I said , laptop wirless device does see the router but windows can't connect.

#6 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

There are a couple of things that your need to consider.

- Distance as it was already pointed out.
- Interference , most 2.4 Ghz devices would hamper your signal thereby nullifying your association to the Access point.
- The number of wireless network available that you can see, remember there are only 11 wireless channels, ( 13 if your in EU or Japan ).
- Obstructions between your access point to the wireless client -- Brick walls, wall insulators, glass etc.
- The type of security setup on the router. The farther you are from the router the less security should be used.
- Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is often a dud, try using the wireless utility employed by the machine, they work much better.

If you have already put these thing into consideration please post other information that may be pertinent.

-- How many wireless devices are there, theorytically a wireless access point can handle 32 wireless connections at once, but that is a controlled environment. So they don't really work that much in the real world.
--
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#7 jimpk

jimpk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for your reply kennzsniper . Yes all those points have been addressed and there is only 1 wireless connect , the lap top. I have to be away till Monday I'll try to check in before but Ican't do much on this prob till Mond. Thanks all for you interest.

#8 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Ok. Since you have already considered that try the following.

Isolate your network adapter. Turn off the wireless router.
Set up an adhoc network as a testbed and let your computer connect. If it connects the WLAN NIC is ok.
Try connecting to another public network and see if it works.

Now check your wireless router.
Powercycle the router and see if that helps.
If not reset your wireless router and work your way back.
If it still fails flash your routers firmware.

BTW you might want to check for signal issues by using wireshark or netstumbler or another other utility.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#9 jimpk

jimpk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:23 AM

Thanks kennzsniper. I have powercycled the router but isolate my net work adaptor etc is a bit above my head. Could use a little more instruction there. Or point to where I can learn. Sorry for the time its taking me to reply but I am short on time till Tues. Work issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users