Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temp file filling up - tens of GB per week, Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 little_wolf

little_wolf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

I am running Windows Vista 32-bit. I've been having a problem with my Temp folder filling up with tons of files - it's the file located under Users - (My name)- AppData - Local - Temp. It fills with files whether I'm online or offline, although I think it accelerates when I am connected to the internet. It is adding upwards of 20-25GB in 2-3 weeks with minimal usage of my computer. I have run scans with AVG, AdAware, and Malwarebytes, and detected nothing. I also ran TrendMicro Housecall, and found nothing. The files that fill up my folder are all named similarly, they all begin with "AdA" and then a few other letters and numbers, for example: AdAB8D6.tmp

I would appreciate any help you could offer, Thanks.

Edited by little_wolf, 30 June 2010 - 08:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:31 PM

Are there any other ill symptoms present?
If not, normally, you should run temporary files cleaner weekly.
I recommend...

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 little_wolf

little_wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

I can try that... it just seems very strange that I've never had this problem before - I've had this computer for three years and never encountered this, now all of a sudden it's happening, it seems like a little more than a weekly clean-up problem.. if that's all it is I can just run the regular Windows cleanup every time my disk space gets full (which is what is happening)... I'm not an expert or anything, but I've been around computers quite a bit and this strikes me as something other than just a weekly maintenance issue... Any further suggestions?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

You may try to start new topic in malware forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users