Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted USB Drivers -can't use mouse or keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gazaar

gazaar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

HI! First post, but I've been reading these forums for months!

I am trying to fix a computer for a friend, and am unable to use the mouse or Keyboard. There is some serious spyware/malware on her machine.
Her mouse and keyboard are USB, and there are no PS/2 plugs on the mobo. It is a Dell XPS 400 machine.
I know the mouse and keyboard both work, since I use them personally.
On startup the RED laser is LIT, until windows loads, and then there is no RED light.
The keyboard num lock key is lit, and I am able to use the keyboard to navigate the BIOS settings, which indicates (to me) the corruption by the spyware.
Also, there are no BIOS settings to enable/disable USB. I think thats probably because there are no PS/2 plugs.

We have no disks, so I can't reload the whole thing.

Here's what I have tried:
Booting in safe mode - boots fine, but am unable to use the keyboard or mouse, so i can't login.
Booting normally - it "recognizes" the USB mouse and keyboard, however, no amount of pushing buttons or clicking the mouse works. The mouse never moves, the keystrokes don't work.

I have tried ALL the USB ports. front and back, with no success. I'm pretty sure I can get rid of the malware/spyware once I can get the keyboard and mouse to respond.

Dell XPS 400
1.25 gb ram
Windows XP media (version unknown)

Edited by gazaar, 19 June 2010 - 06:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

If the mouse/keyboard don't work...how did you attempt to get into safe mode?

Louis

#3 gazaar

gazaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

ok edited the main. The keyboard will work prior to loading into windows. It will allow me to press the F2, F8, F11, F12, ETC. i can navigate the bios menu's and even boot to safe, but at login screen of safe mode, i can no longer use the keyboard or mouse. They are non functioning at that point. Sorry I omitted those details.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Thanks.

The problem that I have with that...if mouse keyboard work before Windows loads...why would they not work after Windows loads?

Same drivers, I believe...I don't know, I've never given it much thought. But keyboard and mouse are base functions and are unlike other hardware items when it comes to drivers...they are not dependent on Windows for functionality, if functionality is enabled from the beginning in the BIOS, as I understand it.

Sooo...I would come back to the premise...that maybe the system freezes at attempted login...which is a different problem which would point me to the userinit or logon files...or a damaged registry, etc.

I have no clue what the problem is...but I would try to run chkdsk /r (from XP Recovery Console) on the system partition, as a first attempt to get a clue.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#5 gazaar

gazaar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

As there are no other suggestions, I am going to attempt this! I have also ordered a SATA to PATA converter so that I can remove the hard drive and install it in a machine with PS/2 ports in hopes that will help! :thumbsup: Will report back with results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users