Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random crash dumps in Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32-bit)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RD28327

RD28327

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

Got a Compaq Pentium dual core PC running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32-bit) w/1GB of RAM. Seems like the system goes into random crash dumps for no rhyme or reason. The computer blue screens, then counts up to 100 then restarts. Of course, this is a friend's computer, and she is usually on Facebook doing something. My first instinct is to bump up RAM. I'm not sure how much a reload will help the problem. Would upgrading to Windows 7 be a worth the time and $$$? This may get expensive and I'm sure she wants to keep things cheap as possible, thus, I'm thinking that upgrading RAM would be "the quick fix." Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,753 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

Ok first lets fix the problem then worry about a windows 7 install if you want to but we should be able to fix it with out needing to buy win.7 Please do the following:

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply. :huh:
sigcomp.png
Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice, that is what our forums are for.
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | BC Welcome Guide | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! | Hang With Us on LockerDome!

#3 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

Have you tried doing a Last Known Good Config? Or system restore in Safe mode? What error messages are you getting?
(error code) (stop code) (is there a specific file listed e.g. *******.dll etc)

Looks like you're getting good help.
Good luck
doc

Edited by doctorphibes, 16 June 2010 - 01:18 PM.

I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

#4 RD28327

RD28327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Doc, when I first got hold of the system, it was blue screening like crazy. Couldn't do much with it. Things did get much better when I took things out of startup, ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and did a virus scan with AVG Free. Now I am down to maybe one or two blue screens per day.

Have not done the System Restore thing yet, but I think that may be next in addition to getting more info about one of these blue screens. Thus, it may come down to doing a system reload, adding RAM or even jumping up to Win 7 (the last resort). I'll try the reload first and do it from the hidden partition that has the original system image.

Now if my friend can just get some internet connectvity happening at her house. Fiber optic cable problems. I'll let their ISP handle with that.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

I suggest running BlueScreenView...before attempting a repair install or such.

Once you do that (reload), you will wipe out the only reports that might tell us what is wrong.

Louis

#6 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:19 PM

When you ran your anti virus did you turn off system restore? Sometimes there will be a reboot hacktool hiding in the restore volume that will just drop a virus right back into the mix (or so I understand). I typically do this when I have a problem (it's worked in the past for me when problems persisted). I don't like it because you wipe out all previous restore points and have to create a new one. Something to consider. I would be interested in seeing exactly what the BSOD says as it should give a good indication of what the problem really is. It's not always a virus. If I knew everything the screen said when it comes up I might be able to track down the problem. That's up to you though. If you decide to do it you can reach me through the site.
Looks like "computerxpds" has the same idea. The error and stop codes will be enough typically but it might also list a specific file where the stop codes are ( 0x0000000(1) etc. ?)< codes would resemble this.
Good luck.

Edited by doctorphibes, 16 June 2010 - 05:20 PM.

I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

#7 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

Hello,
If Im in your place I will do the following:
Run sfc /scannow in elevated mode aka as administrator
Do the check disk and let computer fix all it finds
Go online to Dr.Web site and run free online scan and removal
Repeat with free ESET online scan/remover
Remove AFG and install Microsoft security essentials,it is free
Download Sophos antirootkit and run it
read all my previous posts
The last and most iportant-enable DEP for all files.To learn that go to grc.com
If you do all the steps you will be free of pc security issues!

Edited by akuigla, 17 June 2010 - 06:34 AM.

If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users