Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PandaCloud Antivirus vs. Microsoft Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 albertd

albertd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

Just got my computer cleaned up from some particularly nasty viruses and trojans (clean thanks to a lot of help from reading this forum and two weeks of working on identifying and solving issues). In the process, I found PandaCloud Antivirus as a highly rated (by cnet.com) free antivirus program. Also found Microsoft Security Essentials as another free program. I suspect I don't need both and they are probably redundant so one should be deleted.

I have Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy that I will start running more often. Prior to this infection I have had years of luck running TrendMicro Housecall and Windows Live OneCare on a regular basis. After this experience, I am no longer confident in HouseCall and realize that OneCare can get fooled by the more nasty tojans.

I am looking for feedback about these. I am trying to find a safer configuration while still using minimal resources and bandwidth.

My next step is to start working on some of the techniques (again from this forum) to clean up, speed up and tweak my computer = HP Pavillion Media Center, Windows XP Service Pack 3, Microsoft Office Pro 2007, IE8

Thanks in advance for your feedback and related tangents are also encouraged.

Albert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

albertd,

Hello! Don't much about Panda Cloud but I know people having success with MSE with my sister being one. You might want to do a little research on Panda Cloud before installing it. Here are a couple of links to some threads at Gizmo's Freeware;

http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-f...a-released.html
http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-f...-on-demand.html

They have some deep discussions about all freeware programs there it may help you decide which way to go.

Dan

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials Overview is basically a stripped-down version of OneCare aimed at users who either canít or don't want to pay for antivirus/anti-malware software.

Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Before installation, Microsoft Security Essentials checks for a validated copy of Windows and will disable Windows Defender. You need to uninstall all other "Memory Resident" antivirus applications before you install MSE.

Cloud-based AV has it's advantages (plenty of AV engines to check against), but also has the disadvantage of using extra bandwidth.

Personally, I'd pick Avast over both of these. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 albertd

albertd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Cloud-based uses bandwidth... internet or processor (CPU) bandwidth? Also, what do you cnsider to be the advantages of Avast?

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

albertd,

Avast is a full featured free AV and spyware protection program. It uses 7 shields File, Web, Mail, P2P, IM, Network, and Behavior. It also has root kit protection built in with boot time scan, to run a deep scan before your computer boots. I've been using it for 5 years now with no issues ever developing. It has been a good steady performer light on usage compared to my old Norton 360 and I have a fairly fast setup. Updates are regular as clock work several times a day so no waiting with no update problems for me, although they had a problem late last fall with an update. Along with my Outpost Firewall Free and WinPatrol I have no problems with the nasties out there. I also use a few on demand scanners MBAM and SAS.

Dan

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Cloud-based uses bandwidth... internet or processor (CPU) bandwidth? Also, what do you cnsider to be the advantages of Avast?

I'm sorry for not being clear. Internet bandwidth is what I was referring to. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivirus_sof...Cloud_antivirus

Cloud-based AV scans your files using a "network cloud" of scan servers...which uses bandwidth.

danjmilos did a good job of highlighting Avast's features. :thumbsup: But I'll post some of my favorite features, as well. :flowers:

customization (updates, scanning, notifications, sounds, etc...)
easy to use GUI (graphical user interface)
fast scanning
light on system resources

Those are just a few of the awesome features of Avast. See here for all features: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab2 :trumpet:

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

I just finished using Panda Cloud AV. avast! is faster compared to Panda Cloud. I created a dummy EICAR test file. avast! caught it immediately but Panda Cloud did not. I can feel slowness when using the Panda Cloud AV. When using avast! I did not feel it is scanning. Panda AV uses the internet a lot. I prefer avast! as it downloads the update file in few seconds and done.

#8 albertd

albertd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

I am trying Avast. One of the scan settings is: Scan PUP - what is that one and how should I set it?

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

PUP - Potentially Unwanted Program

I have mine set to On.